Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Stranger standing on a road bridge ..

(75 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

willowcatkin111 Tue 15-Nov-16 19:19:04

.. in the middle of the night - what do you do, stop, call the police or ignore?

AnyFucker Tue 15-Nov-16 19:20:52

Call the police

Why are you asking ?

Euphemia Tue 15-Nov-16 19:21:08

It would depend on the bridge, where exactly they were, is it an unusual place to find people, etc.

DoItTooJulia Tue 15-Nov-16 19:21:37

Police.

Is this a poll thread?

cozietoesie Tue 15-Nov-16 19:21:52

Call the police.

BackforGood Tue 15-Nov-16 19:22:43

I agree with Euphemia - there's a lot of different ways to be standing on a bridge to be fair - could be waiting for someone, or just out for a breath of air, etc.

AnyFucker Tue 15-Nov-16 19:23:53

I called the police once when I saw a bloke walking against the traffic on Barton Bridge (the M60)

Terrifying. I hope he was ok

NavyandWhite Tue 15-Nov-16 19:27:03

Argh I don't know. If I was with DH we would probably get out after calling the police. I think. It's a hard one isn't it.

Meadows76 Tue 15-Nov-16 19:29:33

Depends on the exact situation, bus yes definitely call the police

cozietoesie Tue 15-Nov-16 19:30:28

You never know but that the police might be actively looking for someone in any case.

willowcatkin111 Tue 15-Nov-16 19:41:02

Happened to me the other day - a person just standing on the bridge leaning over a motorway and there for quite a while; I was unsure how to react.
What is a poll thread?

NavyandWhite Tue 15-Nov-16 19:44:49

What did you do?

I have seen 3 males stood on motorway bridges as an adult but all of them had police/ambulance men with them so didn't stop. Awful.

frankie001 Tue 15-Nov-16 20:13:31

Call the police, and I have done

QuoteMeYouFuckers Tue 15-Nov-16 20:29:43

I stood on the bridge over the m62 at Scammonden once and the police came to check I was alright. I was taking a long-exposure photo of the traffic looking towards the reservoir.

Skittlesss Tue 15-Nov-16 20:32:28

Quote me - that bridge is notorious for suicidal people. It's awful sad

QuoteMeYouFuckers Tue 15-Nov-16 20:37:33

I know it is now, but I didn't at the time. I think they've put signs up now with the phone number for the Samaritans. I thought it was good and quite reassuring that someone had noticed and cared enough to take the time to call.

LuluLovesFruitcakes Tue 15-Nov-16 20:50:30

I'd ring the police. Would rather the police attended unnecessarily than someone lost their life.

I discovered recently that an old friend of mine jumped from a railway bridge a year ago, she was seen in that area looking sad and frantic for 2 hours, people saw her there...if only one of them had called the police, things may have turned out so differently. sad

I'd always rather police attend to someone like Quoteme for being up there taking photos, than anything else...

willowcatkin111 Tue 15-Nov-16 21:06:01

I did nothing - my take is that if someone's life is so bad they want to end it, who am I to interfere.
Dh on the other hand (told him when I got home) went back to check and said two people had stopped and were talking to him, then the police turned up and took him away.

averylongtimeago Tue 15-Nov-16 21:11:12

Willow, you were wrong. If someone's life is that bad, they need help. A simple act of kindness, a helping hand, a voice in the dark. I know, I have tried to commit suicide.

AnyFucker Tue 15-Nov-16 21:12:23

Willow, that is a horrible attitude

AnyFucker Tue 15-Nov-16 21:13:38

Why bother helping anybody, any time then ?

Cancel all MH support services right now !

QuoteMeYouFuckers Tue 15-Nov-16 21:14:38

I would like to think that someone who has got to the point of ending their life, but who has been saved before they had the chance, could go on to get the help and support they needed to improve their circumstances and be happier. I'd be thinking of the people they would leave behind - partners and children perhaps - and of how they'd feel knowing or thinking that no-one tried to help.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 15-Nov-16 21:15:24

Willow, that is a horrible attitude

It's not. It's a valid point of view. People have the right to self determination, and that includes determining to end their own life.

standingonlego Tue 15-Nov-16 21:15:50

If in doubt, be kind. A call to the Police would have taken you moments. Well done your DH and those 2 people who stepped up to check.

QuoteMeYouFuckers Tue 15-Nov-16 21:15:52

People like LuLu who posted above, for instance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now