Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Abuse as a child

(3 Posts)
BITCAT Fri 04-Nov-16 12:50:28

Hi I suffered emotional, physical, verbal abuse at the hands of my mother growing up. Well into my teens..even after being thrown out and trying to get on speaking terms with her by returning to the house at 17 she hit me several time banging my head of the cupboards in the kitchen.
I still have the emotional scars..she hit my sister so much she wet herself. Now she is messaging my kids and saying all sorts to them baring in mind I have had nothing to do with her since I was 18. I'm now 39.
She has never been in my kids lives..apparently they are reporting me to social services and the police because my 15 year old daughter stays at her boyfriends and he stays here on occasions. They are always sleeping in separate rooms. They behave my daughter is very responsible and very mature for her age..she has no plans to have sex until she is 16 and when she is ready her boyfriend has just turned 17. He is very respectfully waiting, his parents are very good and we both agree on the rules that have been set.
Since all this started it has brought a lot of horrible memories back things I had blocked out. I always felt unwanted and unloved as a child..something I never want my children to feel.
I have been thinking about speaking to the police about my abuse. Do.you think I should or should I just let it go. She's basically gotten away with it. And is now verbally abusing my kids.

AnxiousCarer Fri 04-Nov-16 19:34:50

I think you are the only one able to make the decision about where to go from here. It doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about from police or SS with view to your daughter.

Maybe some councelling would help you work through the issues from your childhood and decide if you want to go ahead with talking to the police about them.

MummyBtothree Sat 19-Nov-16 13:51:49

I suffered emotional abuse all my life from my narcissistic sociopath mother & father, & my only sibling who took their side. After years of being down trodden I finally got the courage together to break contact & moved 70 miles away with my husband and three kids in tow. She was working her poison and tried to turn my own kids against me. Dont let your mother rob you of your children or mistreat you or them. You all deserve better. I am now on antidepressants and have regular counselling sessions which are a huge help. What do you want to achieve from this is what you need to ask yourself, her brought to justice or peace for yourself and help to deal with the scars it has left. Hope you are ok flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now