Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I want to do something good

(8 Posts)
user114114 Thu 03-Nov-16 20:46:28

I'm currently undergoing counselling for trauma during my labour

I want to help someone like I was helped at the birth (blood transfusion etc)

What can I do to make myself feel like I'm helping someone? Ever since it happened all I want to do is give blood and I can't so need something else?

Smartleatherbag Thu 03-Nov-16 20:49:48

That's lovely, and I totally understand how giving back can be very therapeutic. Are any peer support programmes in operation in your area? Eg: I got loads of help from breastfeeding org, so I trained and helped with them. Also, some prem baby orgs do similar.
You probably have to a lot of insight that would be very valuable to others in your situation.

Smartleatherbag Thu 03-Nov-16 20:50:45

I am sure you've done so, but is there a birth trauma org at the national level who might have ideas too?

ferriswheel Thu 03-Nov-16 20:50:47

A Christmas shoebox for a newborn, for the rotary.

Smartleatherbag Thu 03-Nov-16 20:51:54

Ooh, just thought, there's charities for maternity care in the developing world. That'd be very relevant. You'd be directly helping another mum get her baby safely delivered

alwayshappy101 Thu 03-Nov-16 20:55:51

That's a lovely idea flowers

Could you donate bonemarrow?

Rainbowqueeen Thu 03-Nov-16 21:00:00

Provide a special Christmas for a family who can't afford it
Donate a huge stack of advent calendars and yummy treats to your local food bank now so they can get them out to families before Christmas

Congratulations on the birth of your little one and thank you for being so willing to pay it forward.

user114114 Thu 03-Nov-16 21:06:46

Some really good ideassmile

Keep them coming as I'm loving these - going to do some research into them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now