Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Depression and aspergers

(6 Posts)
Openup41 Wed 02-Nov-16 19:36:48

I have had depression for 30 years and after researching aspergers, I realise I have this too.

I have never taken medication or received a diagnosis. I honestly do not know how I have coped. I was over emotional as a child, could not handle disappointment, still can't. I have little coping mechanisms and am amazed when others do not become phased. I often feel like screaming and running away. I dream of another life. I hate being touched.

I pretty much look and act normal. I was weird as a teen and bullied. I did not look right, my appearance etc. I have modelled myself on others to appear normal, studied to degree level. I have a management role, married with kids, do voluntary work, always helping others.

I hate loud noises, bright lights, small talk, speaking in groups, being close to others, being around others for too long.

To all those with depression or Asperger's who feel misunderstood. I know the pain.

BecauseIamaBear Wed 02-Nov-16 22:53:36

I sometimes wonder about myself.. but I am not going to try and get a formal diagnosis... At 60 it won't make much difference.

It is frightening to realise I am that old!

Openup41 Thu 03-Nov-16 01:06:11

I know for sure but would like a diagnosis. I have spent 30 years of my life feeling I am weird, barely human, awkward looking, unworthy, deeply depressed - I could go on.

The years do fly past.

BecauseIamaBear Thu 03-Nov-16 07:16:18

Have you looked into self tests?

imip Thu 03-Nov-16 07:24:04

There is a SN adults section here that has a number of adults with ASD/AS that may be useful to read?

I do think it's a long wait to be diagnosed as an adult, but you'll probably find a lot of useful discussion on the theads that may be helpful.

It took 2 years to get my dd diagnosed, she is now 8. I knew she had autism since she was 4/5.

Openup41 Thu 03-Nov-16 18:44:18

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now