Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Mirtazapine and weight gain

(3 Posts)
SugarNspiceNallThingsNice Tue 01-Nov-16 12:35:13

I'm faced with a dilemma, I know mirtazepine is good for my mental health and helps me sleep. But... I hate the weight gain.
I stopped taking it 3 months ago and lost nearly a stone. But now my low moods and suicidal thoughts are back. I also seem to have gotten into the habit of having a binge eating session for lunch on the week days.
I have at least 3 stone to lose but need the medicine. Should I just start taking it to feel better? Has anyone lost any weight while on it?

dangermouseisace Tue 01-Nov-16 13:13:51

Sorry to hear you are struggling sugar. Have you been to your GP recently about your MH?

I've managed to lose a small amount of weight on mirtazapine probably only a couple of Kg. However, I'm happier with my body despite not much weight loss as it is more defined/stronger.

I started doing more exercise- running/yoga. I'm actually eating much MORE than I was when I started running again, but weigh a bit less. I was hardly eating anything before I started running again, as I was frustrated with the way I was gaining weight. I'd put on nearly 2 stone so I was basically living on rice cakes and not losing any weight at all. Now I'm regularly exercising I eat proper meals and snacks. I also cut down on the alcohol I consume. I've come to accept that I can't manage without the medication, and I have to accept being a bit bigger than I was, but it's better to be bigger and fitter than just bigger! I guess if I ate less and carried on exercising I'd lose more weight but I don't feel the need to IYSWIM. So I guess it is possible to lose weight on mirtazapine, it's just harder. But, if you're having binge eating sessions then you're likely to put on weight without the mirtazapine anyway- so isn't it better to go on it and hopefully feel less need to binge/be mentally better?

SugarNspiceNallThingsNice Tue 01-Nov-16 13:55:46

Well I was seeing the gp regularly and had some therapy but was only allowed 8 sessions which I know wasn't enough but I had felt better when that finished and decided to stop the mirtazepine. Today I think I've snapped and realise it was stupid to stop taking them. I've been on and off medicine for over a decade now. I needed them first when I was 17 and I'm nearly 30 now! I know deep down that I need them to feel better. I just need to find a diet that suits me. Wish me luck on that one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now