Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How to be nicer?

(6 Posts)
Spriteisbetterthan7Up Mon 31-Oct-16 10:59:11

I'm a little but out of control at the moment.
I suffer from depression (and I often wonder if anxiety too) but have had a bad time in therapy so refuse and am useless at taking medication.

I haven't taken my medication for a ages and have spiralled and have no will power or control over myself but I've suddenly realised that I'm not very nice to people. I don't mean to be but I seem to have no tolerance of anything not going my way or the way I expected. Being unkind to people is the last thing I want... I know I need to go back and see the doctors and go through the sorry process again but right now i need to change something so I don't hurt more people who care about me. Please help!

AnxiousCarer Mon 31-Oct-16 18:53:45

It's very difficult be patient and caring when we are feeling so low. It sounds like going back to your GP is a positive step. Is there a system you can get in place to remind you to take your medication. Maybe an alarm on your phone, or someone to prompt you. As for being nicer I suspect this will fall into place as you start to feel better. If therapy didn't work for you before could you discuss different types of therapy with GP. Not all will suit everyone.

ajabajavitasoffan Sun 06-Nov-16 14:26:09

Following. Will post again later as this is something I experience too and I'm trying desperately to fight it. Placemarking and bumping for now.

IonaNE Sun 06-Nov-16 20:34:48

What do you mean by "you are useless at taking medication"?

Spriteisbetterthan7Up Sun 06-Nov-16 21:45:59

Thanks for your replies smile
I had almost forgotten I had posted this.

I don't really know what I mean by 'useless at taking medication' but I do know that I've had them prescribed to me on and off for the past 7 years but have never really got in the swing of it.
I wonder sometimes whether it's a self-destructive decision I make. I think it is probably that along with forgetfulness and pretending I don't need them.

I often think I'm fine and then suddenly find myself in a really shitty place, where I've been unknowingly unkind to people and pushed everyone dear to me away. sad

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Sun 06-Nov-16 22:25:00

I use a pill tidy to keep track of taking my meds...
It helps to have a routeen in the morning to take them..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now