Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

OCD is ruining my relationship.

(3 Posts)
RG2016 Sun 30-Oct-16 02:47:18

I have pure OCD, I've had it for the past 4 and a half years. I'd been on medication for a year and had a few therapy sessions and managed to get it more under control. Everything was fine until I became pregnant, then all of a sudden it flared up really bad again. At the beginning of my pregnancy I had thoughts I was going to harm my baby, it was horrible but then those thoughts disappeared around July time. Now my OCD is making me think that my partner is going to abuse our daughter. The thoughts are so bad that I am too worried to leave her with him once she is born. I know that he won't hurt her buy obviously my thoughts say otherwise and I can't seem to shake them away. I've spoken to my MW who has told me to make an appointment with the GP. I'm just so scared they are going to take baby away once she is born if I say anything. I love my partner so much and he's been so supportive over the last 2 and a half years that we have been together but these thoughts have just made me so distant from him that I'm worried I'm now ruining everything we have together :/

AnxiousCarer Sun 30-Oct-16 03:24:20

Hi RG,

This sounds really tough. I think it sounds like a good idea to see your GP now, hopefully they will be able to get you some help so that you are in a better place when baby is born. I think its very unlikely they would take your baby away, they want to help you to be able to look after it well and seeking help now shows that you are doing everything you can to get well too.

kateandme Mon 31-Oct-16 11:22:49

you need to talk to your gp.this wont get better and when more pressure comes with baby it might spiral if you don't put that blocker in place.
they wont take the baby away if it is a mental health problem. remember these are thoughts not facts. you don't have to believe or act on them. just to face them and see them as thoughts.very realistic very hurtful to you but not facts.its illness.
they will know your baby wont be harmded by hubbie you can tell them this is your ocd and you need help with it. you need someone to be able to work this through.teach you methods and separating the anxiety of the illness from truths.becasue this is an illness. these thoughts circulating insdie your head are like little tumours or physical symptoms of other illness.and like them you can get help.you can be treated for this.
no one can take your child if they aren't in harms way.and if this is like you said you ocd thoughts then they need to help those instead.
you can do this. its not the truth hun.its a very nasty illness trying to make you sad,lonely and mixed up.thoughts not facts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now