Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

PND success stories ? Advice ?

(15 Posts)
Rebocalucy Wed 12-Oct-16 21:18:51

Hi mummy's !

My daughter is 3 months old and I have been suffering anxiety and depression since i finished work at 35 weeks pregnant. It's been up and down and my symptoms are mainly intrusive thoughts and severe anxiety. I would love to hear some positive stories and any advice that would get me through this tough time ! Im feeling really low today sad

Iv been having CBT which is helping a little I have also been prescribed 10mg Celitorpram (If that's how you spell it ?!) but I am yet to start these as I am scared of the side effects.

I really want to get better I'm sick of missing out on my daughters first months xx

LHReturns Wed 12-Oct-16 21:29:42

Hello OP - I'm so sorry you are suffering right now but MANY congratulations on the birthday of your daughter!

My DS is now 2.4; intrusive thoughts and anxiety started for me when I wound down BF at about 4 months. I then had the worst 4 months of my life with zero enjoyment in being a new mum and zero bonding with my little boy.

When he was 8 months I started escitalopram (similar to citalopram) and within 4 weeks I was in HEAVEN. The grinding in my stomach eased, totally forgot all my constant fears of something hideous happening to my baby, and my sleep returned. It was wonderful.

I am now 7 weeks pregnant with my second child and remain on my drugs (no intention of stopping, psychiatrist advice). I am really excited to correct some past mistakes this time and put myself under far less pressure.

Take your drugs and enjoy this precious time! It will be wonderful - don't lose another minute!

flowers

LHReturns Wed 12-Oct-16 21:33:24

Btw OP - start up side effects with ADs are not fun. Especially the first two weeks. Try to accept this and plan for it (get support with your DD etc). You will feel worse for a SHORT time before you feel much much better.

Rebocalucy Wed 12-Oct-16 21:42:48

Thankyou so much ! This has made me so much more positive ! I'm going to start my tablets tomorrow .... Here's to getting better ! Xx

KnitFastDieWarm Wed 12-Oct-16 21:43:00

once your ADs kick in you will feel so much better. please start today! the side effects are manageability and in the event that you don't like them after giving them a good try you can always stop or try another drug - what have you got to lose, r ally? (they take a while to kick in so give it a good month or two to see an effect)

ILoveAGoodBrusselSprout Wed 12-Oct-16 21:43:28

I had (what I now know was relatively mild) PND, although it felt pretty awful to me.
I've a history of being unwell (unrelated) and have taken too much medication so really wanted to fight this without ADs (please be assured I am NOT advocating this - it was just the right decision for me at the time).
It took a lot longer than it should to recover because I didn't take the ADs but I researched diet and exercise and their affects on depression and ensured I had a high protein, high fat diet with some sweaty exercise every day, plus laughter therapy and counselling.
If I'd taken the ADs alongside my personal therapies, I'd have felt better quicker but, ultimately, I got better.

Please, please, don't think I am saying that diet, exercise and laughing cures expression. I'm well aware what depression and PND is. All I'm saying is this worked for me (eventually).

Good luck OP

KnitFastDieWarm Wed 12-Oct-16 21:44:15

if you need any advice on side effect etc feel free to PM me - i've been on ADs for nearly a decade now so i'm a bit of a veteran and i remember the uncertainty of that first dose very well. it's no exaggeration to say that they changed my life smile

MrsMargoLeadbetter Wed 12-Oct-16 21:45:25

Sorry to hear you are suffering.

Take the drugs. They really helped me cope.

The good thing is you are seeking help now.

Hope you feel better soon..

KnitFastDieWarm Wed 12-Oct-16 21:47:11

ilove it sounds like you took a really sensible and responsible approach to recovery that worked for you - too often 'i'm not taking meds' is code for 'i'm just going to ignore this and hope it goes away' which is the polar opposite of that you did by the sound of it. like you say, ADs help the other therapies/exercise/preventative lifestyle measures to work better and faster.

LHReturns Wed 12-Oct-16 21:49:22

I agree with ALL of Brussel's lifestyle changes too. All can truly accelerate the speed of recovery with your ADs.

Here's to getting better OP! I wish I had taken action as quickly as you are.

Rebocalucy Thu 20-Oct-16 21:36:36

Thanks everyone smile you have all been truly helpful ! Xxx

IWokeUpLikeThisHonest Thu 20-Oct-16 21:47:54

My DD is now 7 but I suffered with intrusive thoughts and anxiety after having her. I thought it would never end and the thoughts were so awful that it was hard to concentrate on other things including her. I also had huge success with citalopram and CBT. At the time I honestly thought it would never end but it did and now it's hard to imagine that I was that unwell. Hope you feel better soon flowers

Rebocalucy Thu 20-Oct-16 22:39:52

Thankyou xx what mg of citalopram are you on ? Xx

Firsttimer82 Thu 20-Oct-16 23:04:04

I was diagnosed with PND at 3months, after counselling i realise it was with me from about 30/40. At my worst I was frozen with anxiety and intrusive thoughts. I was literally sitting in the kitchen thinking "don't put the baby in the freezer, don't pour hot water on the baby." - The worst things possible you could think I thought.

I thought I was evil and deranged. I had wanted my baby so much and would have given away my house to get rid of the thoughts. I also, because of the thoughts couldn't feel love for lo all the time and became obsessed with the idea of feeling a rush of love. I am a ballsy A&E nurse in my work life and was destroyed that I was crumbling. Fortunately my GP was great. I literally sat there and said all the hideous things I was thinking and he repeatedly told me that they are just thoughts.

Dh was great and took 2 weeks of work to be with me. He helped my sleep and I ended up on 40mg go citalopram, which saved me. I am now down to 10mg every other day. I delayed taking it by two weeks (huge mistake) and the first night I took it was my worst but it saved me. Please take them. 1 in 3 people take them at some point in their life in the UK.

Lo is now 10months and through counselling I now realise that I was very unwell but had postnatal OCD and anxiety. I have to remember that these thoughts are NOTHING TO DO WITH ME. They are a symptom of my anxiety and I was anxious because of my hormones and being so tired.

I also remember that I am normal to have these worries and thoughts, everyone does but I became hypersensitive to them and would ruminate on them rather than let them float out my mind as just the silly thoughts that they are.

It gets better, I wish I could introduce you to yourself 6 months on and show you that you will be fine. Everyday of anxiety seems long but YOU WILL NOT FEEL LIKE THIS FOREVER. You will get through it and oneway be writing about your experience of PND to help others on MN.

I think you would be surprised to know how many of your friends have been through this. One of my BF who I thought told me everything admitted to me when I was struggling that she was so nervous one night she called an ambulance for herself. The fear of discussing these thoughts and worries makes them breed. Reach out to your friends and tell them your thoughts or message me! lol. I thought shared is a thought halved!

I found body scans mindfulness from Youtube really helped me relax.

You can do it, you will have good days and bad days but the good days will get more and more until you realise that you haven't had a weird thought for a few days. And you will be a better woman, friend and mother for doing it and coming out the otherside!

Good luck - KEEP GOING!!!

Rebocalucy Fri 21-Oct-16 09:39:49

Thankyou so much for your story, you sound like an amazing strong woman !!! It people like yourself that keep me going ! Thankyou ! Xxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now