Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Can you have depression for no reason?

(11 Posts)
LookingForStars Mon 10-Oct-16 09:44:19

I'm 34. I was first prescribed anti depressants when I was 22 and I've been on and off them ever since. Mostly off to be fair.

I think I suffered a little post natal depression after our 3rd DC.

I've not been on any medication for six months or so and over the last two months I've been feeling like I'm going downhill. Normally I'm a very laid back, easy going, have a 'can do' attitude, very positive etc but I have a very short temper at the moment, overeating, sleeping more, procrastinating constantly, forgetting things, being lazy in general and have absolutely no get up and go.

I enjoy nothing. I don't want to be around people. I don't want to go out. I don't want to stay in. I don't want to talk to anyone or do anything. I find myself staring out the window not thinking anything.

Anyway, last week I was very emotional and went to the Drs as I feel I'm getting worse. I'm back on antidepressants.

My dh has mentioned going for counselling but I have no issues I need to discuss or that bother me. I'm very lucky in many ways.

Can you get depressed for no reason?

TheHubblesWindscreenWipers Mon 10-Oct-16 09:48:26

Yes of course you can. Depression in response to a situation or event (reactive depression) can be seen as a normal response. There's also a more endogenous type of depression - you don't need a specific reason...

Is get your GP to do a full physical workup and get the actual lab result printout (reference ranges can be too broad ...) get your thyroid, vitamins d and b12, hormone level, ferritin, blood pressure and blood sugar and hba1c levels done.
And try the counselling - you never know, it may help

LookingForStars Mon 10-Oct-16 10:07:57

Thanks hubbles. I did have my thyroid and hormones checked a couple of months ago and all was normal. I'm taking a berocca a day and biotin at the moment for a bit of a boost vitamin wise as my diet is crap.

The berocca has a good dose of b1 and b12 in.

My dh thinks there must be an underlying issue but there really isn't.

gratesnakes Mon 10-Oct-16 10:17:28

As well as taking the meds can you make an effort to eat a good diet, take some exercise, connect with friends? I believe those three things are also absolutely essential if you want to keep depression manageable. Lots of info online about dealing with depression as I am sure you know!

AnxiousCarer Mon 10-Oct-16 11:37:31

Even though you can't think of any issues it may be worth giving the councelling a go. Councellors do a wide range of things and even if its just showing you techneques you can use whenvyou are feeling low to help things it could be useful.

GipsyHill Mon 10-Oct-16 11:44:44

You absolutely can, it can be really confusing not to have a 'reason' for feeling so low.

None of my medication has agreed with me and I currently see a counsellor to help me work through my feelings. Even though there are no specific issues (ie. Life events or stress-factors) it does still help to open up and have someone to talk to.

I have a lovely partner, happy and healthy child, roof over my head, supportive family- I'm very very lucky but still feel horribly low as you describe. Please don't think you don't deserve some help because you can't pinpoint a reason for your feelings. Depression is a horrible, consuming illness... Listen to your daughter and be kind to yourself. flowers

LookingForStars Mon 10-Oct-16 12:38:07

Thanks for the replies.

I am going to make a conscious effort to eat better I know that would really help. I only have one friend and she lives 200 miles away sad. We've been friends for over ten years but she has plenty going on in her life atm and don't want to burden her.

I will think about the counselling. I absolutely hate talking about myself though.

gratesnakes Mon 10-Oct-16 22:23:27

Could you make a plan to go and visit your far away friend sometime this winter? We all need adventures and things to look forward to.

AnotherEmma Mon 10-Oct-16 22:31:42

Yes of course you can have depression with no obvious reason or underlying cause.

Look up CBT, it's very practical and focused on techniques for feeling better. I've always found it more helpful than general counselling, although that has its place too.

Mindfulness can also be very helpful in preventing relapses of depression - not recommended during a severe/moderate depressive episode, but can be very helpful if you're starting to feel better. Look up MBCT/MBSR courses. There is also a book called The Mindful Way Through Depression.

Lastly, don't underestimate the importance of self-care. Exercise, fresh air, time for yourself (to do something relaxing, fun, pleasurable and/or new) and time to make friends or maintain friendships.

I know all the theory but I don't always put it into practise - so I think the key to long-term mental well being is creating good habits and routines, and sticking to them!

rumred Wed 12-Oct-16 08:34:24

Im not sure you can have depression for no reason. I think it can seem really unclear why you are depressed but theres generally something underlying it.

You say you don't like to talk about yourself OP- whys that? and having little contact with friends i think is hard. They give you support, feedback, and hold up a mirror that can help you see yourself more objectively. Perhaps these things are missing from your life?

and the old fave, childhood. You may have been lucky OP but lots of us have issues that stem from years ago- we learn certain behaviours and often have to work on changing them as adults

MissHooliesCardigan Sat 15-Oct-16 11:26:19

I believe that you absolutely can be depressed for no clear reason. There used to be a distinction in psychiatry between reactive and endogenous depression. Reactive depression was depression clearly triggered by something like bereavement or a relationship break up whereas endogenous depression was seen as purely the result of messed up brain chemistry. I don't think it's quite that simple in that depression that seems to strike 'out of the blue' can sometimes have its roots in issues going back many years that have never been resolved. However, having worked in mental health for 20 years, I have met many patients with severe depression who are adamant that they have had a completely charmed life and that there really isn't a 'reason' for their depression. Generally, these people respond very well to medication. I hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now