Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Please help.

(2 Posts)
Psion Fri 16-Sep-16 13:38:11

I haven't needed to post for a while, but today I am desperate.

I have been really struggling with anxiety and depression over the last few years. It is basically caused by hormonal highs and lows. I take HRT but not sure how much it helps?

To cut a long story very short, I finally started to feel better nearly 3 months ago when my GP started me on Sertraline 50mg. From day one I felt a difference. I felt calm and dreamy for those first few weeks on it, and my mood was so much better. But after 6 weeks I was still getting some bad days, so my GP increased me to 75mg.

Again I had a few weeks of feeling lovely and dreamy again, and felt much more like me. Infact I only had a couple of bad days out of the whole month!

But, a week ago I started to feel off again, on edge and anxious. But not depressed at all. It was probably linked to starting the progesterone part of my HRT (it can make you feel depressed and anxious), because my mood worsened within 12 hours of starting the progesterone. But I was able to manage sort of okay.

But 2 days ago my period started, and the anxiety has been absolutely dreadful ever since. I can barely stand it. I don't feel depressed at all which is a small blessing, but the anxiety is making me feel almost hysterical it is so bad. I have just cried and cried today.

I am seeing my GP later, is it worth increasing to 100mg of Sertraline? Part of me is scared that I am reacting to the previous increase in Sertraline, but I increased 4 weeks ago.

Please, please help. I feel so desperate. I really felt I was on the road to recovery but this is as bad as I have ever felt.

OhThatThingAgain Sat 17-Sep-16 22:36:36

I didn't want to leave this unanswered as I've I've no specific experience of HRT.l, but I know a bit about anxiety.

Could you get your GP to give you some anti anxiety meds for your bad days? I know they are reluctant to prescribe them, but some Xanax or Diazepam may help at a low dose on the monthly days you feel really anxious.

Just try to explain that for a couple of days a month you need something to take the edge off things. It's worth a try? They are very wary about prescribing benzos but they may help in moderation? A couple of times a month would not be addiction territory.

I'm no doctor, (just a regular MH patient) but that's what I'd ask for if I was in your situation flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now