Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sertralin Side Effects

(10 Posts)
HunterofStars Tue 13-Sep-16 13:40:12

I have been suffering from anxiety on and off for years as well as PTSD and went to the GP after struggling to cope in general. She prescribed me 50mg of Sertralin to take every day. I took the first dose today but now I feel nauseous and exhausted. Does anybody else get side effects?

fairydustandpixies Tue 13-Sep-16 13:52:09

Hi Hunter - yes, I had horrendous side effects when I started on Sertraline in June. I started on 25mg increasing to 50mg after four days. I was totally spaced out, sick, constipated, tired, memory loss, the works for two weeks and then suddenly all the side effects stopped. Stick it out if you can, they do help (well, they've helped reduce my anxiety). Good luck!

onthemetro Tue 13-Sep-16 13:58:43

Yes, I had the same, but they don't last. Give it two or three weeks at least and take it easy, the initial few weeks are awful on most anti depressants but it's worth it if you can stick it out.

Narnian Tue 13-Sep-16 14:02:14

I've been on Sertraline for severe PND for almost 9 years. The first week of taking it is horrendous in my experience. Shakes, nausea, dizziness. But I did wake up one day and all those symptoms had gone.
It really is worth sticking with it though, one day soon you'll feel like the clouds part and the sun shines through.

rosesandcashmere Tue 13-Sep-16 14:05:32

I felt very sick and had the poops for the first week or so but then it settled down and no side effects since. Stick with them if you can for a couple of weeks at least as it's very common in the beginning

HunterofStars Tue 13-Sep-16 18:19:13

Thank you for your responses. I've also had no appetite all day which is unlike me as I am hungry around mealtimes. But I plan to continue with it despite this.

Roseformeplease Tue 13-Sep-16 18:20:24

I swapped to taking it at night time which made a huge difference as I slept off the side effects.

Gilly0812 Tue 13-Sep-16 21:52:21

I've been taking Sertraline for anxiety and depression for 18 months. Started at 50 mg and now at 150 mg per day. Side effects at the beginning were jaw clenching, vivid dreams and diarrhoea. Maybe more but I can't remember. Now 18 months on I still have severe chronic diarrhoea which I am having investigated but put down to Sertraline. Possibly microscopic colitis. I don't want to come off the drug but can't live any longer with this side effect. It's exhausting, unpleasant and interferes with my day to day life

Purplebluebird Wed 14-Sep-16 12:57:09

All the things you listed (incl lack of appetite) I experienced too. It did pass after 10-14 days. Good luck!

ashley0710 Wed 14-Sep-16 19:25:49

Hi I started today and have the same side effects, feel so sickly & just can't eat
First time I've taken these as I've only ever used citalopram before but stick it out the side effects do pass :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now