Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Does anyone else feel .. Empty, unfulfilled, like there's something missing ..

(14 Posts)
Thecatgotmytongue Sun 11-Sep-16 14:55:57

Sorry for the vague title ..

A bit of back story: suffered with depression and anxiety for many years, taken anti depressants on and off, I don't think they help, but I'm unsure of anything to be honest.

My life feels empty, I feel like I'm constantly in need of something .. I binge eat to fill the empty hole but it doesn't help, just makes me feel disgusting. I used to smoke, but gave up ten years ago, now I have an ecig, but again it doesn't help fill the emptiness.

I feel there's something missing from my life. I have no hobbies, I like to read but can't concentrate these days.

Hobbies are difficult because due to anxiety I struggle to leave the house and mingle. I'm too unreliable healthwise to work for anyone, would like to be self employed but had to give up my old work due to physical issues and can't think of anything else to do that is home based.

Does anyone else feel like this? I feel like a freak and so unhappy. I feel like there's something fundamentally flawed inside me.

I'm waiting for counselling and I've seen a member of the primary care mental health team once but my second appointment was cancelled due to illness. Anyway when I speak to a professional I struggle to get across how I feel and they seem to think I'm ok confused

Sorry for rambling on.

Thecatgotmytongue Mon 12-Sep-16 19:40:50

It makes me feel awful when no one replies sad

happyfrown Mon 12-Sep-16 19:49:53

no it makes you worse when your thread is left empty just like your feelings sad I seem to kill a thread - soon as I say something it becomes the last thing said!

but I can relate to you post. could have wrote most of it. I buy animals to fill the gap, I don't have hobbies either and struggle to mingle. I feel to weird to fit in any where.
I have the same problem with the health professionals, I can get out my feelings in words but I could read a post on here and think.... that's it! that's how I feel!

I feel lost, like I don't belong anywhere and im just lingering / existing.
sorry I cant offer any healing words but I can say I feel the same

happyfrown Mon 12-Sep-16 19:51:13

meant to say cant get my feeling out not can.

rumred Mon 12-Sep-16 20:13:20

animals and work you enjoy help with feelings of pointlessness definitely. but even with a full life i can relate to your feelings of emptiness.
drugs can help- perhaps discuss a change of medication type with your GP?
re work, when your mood improves you will be better placed to consider your options. and counselling can be invaluable. i know its hard when youre anxious but doing a course and getting out there is usually fruitful eventually

ChickenLidl Mon 12-Sep-16 20:56:45

OP I could have written your post. This is exactly how I feel, and like a previous poster couldn't put it into words.

flowers and cake for all of us.

In fact this thread has made me see that I must go back to my GP, I can't go on like this forever.

roseteapot101 Mon 12-Sep-16 20:59:47

i have anxiety and being alone is the hardest of all.I know i should be thankful i have my other half and daughter.But when you dont have another woman in your life to talk to in person it just feels like the days just meld day after day. My mother and sister are gone so i dont even have them to speak to.

i cant communicate well with other people i get to nervous and scare people away.I love to read but like you its hard to concentrate even worst with a hobby.My mind cant focus on things i just get muddled.

its hard i understand this is who i am but finding a way to live with it difficult.

Msqueen33 Mon 12-Sep-16 21:01:58

You sound just like me. I feel really empty. I use food to fill the big hole inside me. I have three kids and two with Sen so life is hard but i feel like I'm on a treadmill and that I'm disappearing.

Thecatgotmytongue Tue 13-Sep-16 12:58:24

Thanks for the replies. .. It's good to know I'm not alone at least.

Yes to buying animals to fill the void .. I've done that too much in the past.

I don't know about other meds .. The side effects destroy me. I hate my body .. I can't put on more weight sad

eurochick Tue 13-Sep-16 13:55:28

I feel somewhat like this too. Outwardly I "have it all" but just feel very flat.

Thecatgotmytongue Thu 15-Sep-16 09:20:10

Interesting that there are a few of us feeling like this. I'm sorry others are struggling the same way.

Rose, sorry you've lost your mum and sister. I still have my mum, but can't explain to her, she doesn't understand. I'm an only child and very few friends, so no one to talk to either.

Rumred, it's difficult to find work at all, let alone a job I may enjoy, am able to do and who could cope with my depression and anxiety at present. Likewise I'm unlikely to be able to attend a course all the time, I'd be unable to concentrate anyway.

It's difficult to know where to start ... I've just joined a yoga group in the hope it'll help me concentrate a little.

rumred Fri 16-Sep-16 20:21:24

that is positive thecat . its ridiculously hard i know but making small steps is progress and hopefully leads on to better things. i coincidentally started yoga last week. i had shocking back ache the next day but that was probably due to driving for 2.5 hours.... hope yours is more fun

Thecatgotmytongue Fri 16-Sep-16 20:38:46

Thanks rumred. I did enjoy the yoga and surprisingly didn't ache too much the next day. I found it relaxing and a chance to switch off from all the problems in my life that are constantly on my mind.

rumred Fri 16-Sep-16 21:08:26

brilliant. i know how much courage it takes to do something new, you clearly have lots

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now