Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Can't go on like this but don't know what to do

(3 Posts)
Grumpyoldmomma Sun 11-Sep-16 09:57:49

Not sure why I'm posting. Maybe just to get it all down in writing. I'm a SAHM with DD9 and DS6. I have suffered depression and anxiety on and off for 15 years and am currently taking Sertraline. My DH works long hours and also does a hobby evenings and Saturdays that earns a few extra pounds. In turn that means I am basically stuck at home.

It is really starting to affect me now and I am resenting my DH as he has freedom, money and basically his life hasn't changed apart from paying a mortgage and supporting us. I miss having my own money and my own independence. It is practically impossible to find a job around his hours. Then there is the anxiety from having been out of work so long.

What do I do? I feel like life is passing me by. I love my DC so much but want to be so much more than DH wife and DC'S mum. Sometimes I feel like walking away from it all. Not sure what I'm asking but maybe just a handhold?

AnxiousCarer Mon 12-Sep-16 16:28:50

Have you discussed how you are feeling with DH? Does he need to do his hobby every evening and weekend? Can you reach a compromise.

boomshaketheroom Sat 17-Sep-16 07:12:17

Hi grumplyoldmomma, sorry to hear how you are feeling and I can totally relate to what you have written as feel like I'm in a similar position to you. DH works very long hours and no 2 weeks are the same. Also a SAHM to 2 children, with my youngest needing quite a bit of support, possible Sen going on. Feeling flat and unfulfilled, just not sure how to dig myself out of this. Any courses I find to do always seem to be at the wrong time making childcare tricky. I eat well and try to exercise 2-3 X a week. Not sure whether to see GP about going on antidepressants or to try and "ride it out." I don't know about you but I feel embarrassed discussing this with friends as feel like I should be happy as have lovely husband, good house and don't have the stress of work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now