Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Dr prescribed medication but confused - help

(7 Posts)
user999 Sat 03-Sep-16 13:36:02

I had my postnatal check today and told doctor I think have postnatal depression, she just said ok I will prescribe sertraline. She didn't ask any questions just said she would refer me to a team and hopefully they will contact me.

I'm not sure if I'm depressed or whether I'm just not coping. It was all very odd to me how I've just been given pills no questions asked.

Dr said it was fine to take while breastfeeding but I'm worried after reading the packet.

Any advice?

gubbinsy Sat 03-Sep-16 13:40:00

Does sound a bit odd. I went to Drs this week (4 months post birth with DS2) and cried a lot and said I thought I wasn't coping and we had a long talk - the upshot being setraline but only after going through all options, risks and benefits.
Could you ask to see a different dr? Must confess I asked to see a female one for this when normally I'm pretty ok with anyone.

user999 Sat 03-Sep-16 15:01:24

Thank you for your reply.

I could but there I usually a two week wait for appointments at my surgery.

Have you started taking the sertraline? Have you had any side effects?

Number4OnTheWay Sat 03-Sep-16 15:06:46

You need to phone on Monday and make an emergency on day appointment to see another dr. You need to talk about the risks and benefits and don't leave until you are happy with what had been said.
I'm sorry the dr wasn't more informative and understanding cakeflowersbrew

dangermouseisace Sat 03-Sep-16 16:32:25

If you do really think you have PND then I took sertraline while B'feeding and it was ok.

I think it's odd you weren't asked anything though. I have a loooooooong history of MH problems and when I got PND with DS2 we went through a thing of trying not to be on medication and having regular appts with the GP to see how things were going instead, to start with. Then with next child I was put on it the day child was born.

Although sertraline is meant to be ok if you are breastfeeding (only v small amounts pass through milk), if you have any doubts that you have PND I would make an appt to see a different GP.

gubbinsy Sat 03-Sep-16 18:25:28

I've been taking it for two days. Not sure re side effects yet - felt bit sick and spacey today but then felt quite sick in the night before I started them so could be a bug from kids.

sarahnova69 Sat 03-Sep-16 18:33:24

Sertraline is ok for bf - but because no drug has been, or can be, formally tested in pregnant or breastfeeding women, packet leaflets will typically say that it's not suitable. However, this is overridden by a doctor's advice, so don't worry. I took citalopram while bf when my son was small. Bear in mind that SSRIs like this take several weeks to have an effect, so you are unlikely to see a difference in your mood straightaway.

However, I think the question is more whether you are experiencing a mood disorder or just finding life hard. In retrospect I reckon my PND was mostly lack of sleep and the unsustainable pressure I put on myself, plus the sheer shock of a newborn. Can you tell us any more about how you're struggling? Are you getting any fresh air/contact with other people? (Sounds silly but can make a massive difference.) Do you feel supported at home?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now