Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Suicidal thoughts are hereditary

(6 Posts)
Hunsnetloser Sat 27-Aug-16 21:55:32

I've been feeling pretty low this past month. I've never felt so low before, I canmt seem to shake it off.
I have a great life, 2 dc, dh who is lovely. I am very grateful for what I have but I still feel low. Everything is a chore, esp my 3yr old! I have no energy to enjoy her or ds, I am drifitng through life and need to snap out of it and become fun again.
I am 32, my dad committed suicide when I was 9. He was 35, he had a 9yr old and 8yr old and my dm.
I am worried that I am going to eventually get worse and head the same way as him.
Worse still, I'm worried that my dc will also head the same way

lilwelshyrs Sat 27-Aug-16 22:10:51

I didn't want to read and run and I'm sure someone who has much better advice than me will be along shortly.
Can you talk to your DH? I don't think it's hereditary. But the fact you can see this is a good thing - you can acknowledge how you're feeling and that's really important. How about your GP?

Have you got friends you can go to or groups you can go to with your DCs so they can let off some steam?
((Hugs))

Hunsnetloser Sat 27-Aug-16 22:28:12

Thank you lilwelsh
I have talked to my dh about feeling low but he kind of dismisses it as just being a parent to 2 young dc. They are 3&7. He knows how my dad died but it hasn't registered in his head that my feelings may be linked.
I am not diagnosed as depressed, I have recently started to feel low and worry that it will soon turn in to more

dangermouseisace Sat 27-Aug-16 22:29:09

Huns flowers that must have been so hard for you as a kid. it's not the thoughts that are hereditary OP…it's statistics…that if you have a close relative (or even a friend) that has committed suicide it makes it more likely that it will be seriously considered. They say that depression might have an element of heritability but they are unsure whether it is genetic, environmental, or a combination of the two. It has less heritability than other MH problems such as schizophrenia or bipolar though.

Have you seen your GP about your low mood?

dangermouseisace Sat 27-Aug-16 22:30:15

cross post.

If you've been feeling low for over a fortnight I would make an appointment to see your GP about it. Maybe book a double appointment so you don't have to rush through it.

Hunsnetloser Sat 27-Aug-16 22:35:48

Thank you dangermouse

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now