Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Fluoxetine and insomnia

(8 Posts)
Hueandcry Sat 27-Aug-16 02:10:35

I recently changed ads from sertraline to Fluoxetine and have had terrible insomnia. I feel very tired & drowsy during the day but some nights only get a few hours sleep & even if I do fall asleep I'm always woken in the early hours & can't get back to sleep. Been on fluoxetine for 7 weeks & , it's not settling down. Change of meds was due to menopausal symptoms which my GP thought would be helped by fluoxetine. Can't really tell if this is,any better as just so tired & headache all the time. Any advice?

MissBeaHaving Sat 27-Aug-16 02:15:50

Did you have insomnia before changing Op?
I'm on sertraline which I hoped would help settle it but it hasn't.
Could it be a related menopause symptom?

Sorry for all the questions,it might be worth checking with the pharmacist & possibly going back to your GP.
You have my sympathies,it's a bloody nightmare.flowers

MissBeaHaving Sat 27-Aug-16 02:17:26

Forgot to say that I've just started taking mine in the morning rather than the evening to see if that helps!

Hueandcry Sat 27-Aug-16 02:25:15

I had occasional insomnia before but not every night like this. I take meds in the morning. Doing lots of exercise so I'm physically tired but just can't seem to switch off mentally. I think insomnia can be related to menopause but it's definitely much worse since I've changed meds. Have another appointment with my GP in a few weeks but I'm not sure I can stick it out until then

MissBeaHaving Sat 27-Aug-16 03:19:10

Could you get a telephone appointment before you are due to go back?

It's so hard once you are in the pattern of insomnia every night.
I get what you are saying,I find a lot of the time that when I've purposely kept my self extra busy the insomnia can be worse.
Not sure why,it still doesn't make sense to me.

Hueandcry Sat 27-Aug-16 08:50:57

It's not even 9am & I'm so tired I want to go back to bed - no guarantee I'd sleep though. Thumping headache again too. Don't know what to do really. Must be due to meds I think as never felt this bad on sertraline

DurhamDurham Sat 27-Aug-16 09:12:31

When I was taking fluoxetine I was tired all the time and I avoided going upstairs as as soon as I saw my bed I had an urge to get in and sleep. I also felt numb. I didn't feel sad or anxious I but it was just as bad feeling nothing at all. With my GP'a help I was weaned off them and luckily haven't needed any other medication.
I'm not sure if I'll need antidepressants again but if I do I'll ask for another type.

Good luck, hope your insomnia gets sorted out and your GP is supportive.

Hueandcry Sat 27-Aug-16 11:58:59

I'd agree with the feeling numb. I look & feel dreadful & it's more than just lack of sleep. I have PTSD so i don't think taking nothing is an option for me just now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now