Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Positive stories about coming of ADs cold turkey

(10 Posts)
HitsAndMrs Thu 11-Aug-16 20:43:36

I have been on Sertaline for 2 years and stopped abruptly 3 days ago. I has some disc problems and need to take ibuprofen so have to come off my ADs.
I know you are supposed to wean off slowly but I need pain relief so I can't. I was prescribed them for anxiety and I am now in much better circumstances so feel ill be fine. I'm worried mostly about the brain zaps which have started and really want to hear some positive stories! Tell me these will end!

HitsAndMrs Thu 11-Aug-16 22:53:39

Bump

MountainDweller Thu 11-Aug-16 23:39:37

Um... Are you sure you can't take ibuprofen with your ADs?

HitsAndMrs Thu 11-Aug-16 23:48:49

Yes, I'm sure. Short term is okay but not long term as it changes how fast the ADs come out of the system.

MountainDweller Fri 12-Aug-16 00:37:37

Ah interesting I didn't know that. I hope it works out for you. I've only come off slowly.

Sorry I know it's not what you asked but could you change to another AD, just so you can come off slowly, or another anti-inflammatory? I was on Prozac for years and took ibuprofen and prescription NSAIDS with it. Prozac is quite a good one for tapering down as it stays in the system longer than some others. I had brain zaps during my tapering and they did stop after a few weeks.

erinaceus Fri 12-Aug-16 06:48:21

I strongly recommend against coming off antidepressants cold turkey. Did you speak to your Doctor about your understanding that you cannot take ibuprofen and sertraline at the same time? I do not believe that this combination is in general problematic, although there may be specific reasons why you are not able to take the two together.

If you cannot get to a doctor today, a pharmacist would know about potentially risky drug combinations. Pharmacists are knowledgeable about such things. In general, an abrupt cessation of antidepressants is a terrible, terrible idea, and I recommend speaking to a doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible.

LokisUnderpants Fri 12-Aug-16 06:50:44

I'm off mine 3 days now. I was on escitalopram. Identify from 10 to 5mcg over a matter of weeks. I'm taking fish oil to help with the brain zaps. Am feeling good. A bit tired and the odd zap but nothing I can't deal with

HitsAndMrs Fri 12-Aug-16 11:05:17

I've read fish oil supplements can help brain zaps. I know it isn't recommended but I have too.

123therearenomoreusernames Fri 12-Aug-16 11:25:21

Yes short term is OK so you have time to taper off the sertraline.

No GP or pharmacist would ever have recommended just to stop your anti depressant.

Onedaftmonkey Fri 12-Aug-16 11:26:49

Don't do it. Sent me psychotic took a long time to come back down to reality.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now