Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Fluoxetine reduction

(4 Posts)
halfgirlhalfturnip Thu 11-Aug-16 07:11:42

I was prescribed 20mg daily fluoxetine after youngest DD had RSV at 4 weeks and was apparently an hour from not making it.

I could not move past rage at lack of medical reaction (GP, pharmacy, ooh GP - problem was my lack of sleep and subsequent overreaction apparently....), and terror and guilt at nearly losing her (3rd child so I felt I should have known better).
I have weaned myself off fairly regularly over the last 12!!!!!! years but always end up reverting to at least 20mg every 2 days.

I would like to break the habit finally - though GP happy to keep prescribing.

My middle DD explained to my youngest the other day that I had been really active and physically involved when she and oldest DD were small - this rang alarm bells and I fear I have been in a slump ALL of youngest DD's life.

Can I do this, and what should I know of the process?

I was diagnosed reactive or PND at the time and expected a 6 month course but GP later said some people need to stabilise on them for life confused
If relevant, no prior episodes and previously very much a pull your socks up kind of person (useless info I suspect....)

MountainDweller Fri 12-Aug-16 01:00:43

Sorry to hear about your experience with DD.

I came off Fluoxetine very slowly after taking it for years and being fine on it. Then I started shaking. I was on a number of meds and Drs didn't know which one could be causing it. So I tapered off another med, that wasn't it.

So then I tried tapering the Fluoxetine. I went really slowly, much more slowly than the Drs said - I didn't want to take any chances. It took about 4 months. I dropped to 15 then 10 then 5, spending 3-4 weeks at each dosage. Then I moved onto liquid and dropped by 2mg every 10 days. The tapering off period was fine apart from some brain zaps when I was on 10mg.

Unfortunately I didn't do well off ADs but it sounds like you could be in a place where you could be OK. I did feel like it was a huge achievement to get of the ADs, and I tried quite hard to stay off them but I had a lot of crap going on at the time and really needed some kind of medication.

I would discuss the tapering with your Dr, but be prepared for it to take longer than originally planned. Sometimes it's suggested you take a tablet every other day, which I'm sure works with Fluoxetine as it has a long half life and stays in the system a long time. I just felt more comfortable reducing the daily dose. I'm pretty sure that once I was down to 5mg I wasn't on a therapeutic dose any more, and you could probably just stop after taking 5mg for a couple of weeks. I was just extra cautious; some people are more sensitive to the drug than others.

halfgirlhalfturnip Fri 12-Aug-16 07:41:50

Thanks mountaindweller
What do you mean brain zaps? My memory feels shot and my focus questionable - could be peri related but really want to feel again instead of this insulated slightly disjointed existence.

MountainDweller Fri 12-Aug-16 18:27:12

I think brain zaps are different things to different people - for me I guess it was more of a head zap, sort of like a shock going through my head for a moment. Was quite strange but thankfully momentary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now