Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Lowering dose citalopram... Do I sound ready?

(7 Posts)
Bellyrub1980 Wed 03-Aug-16 19:07:44

I've had PND for 18 months and since Feb have been on 40mg as my anxiety got considerably worse after our house flooded.

Everything is back to normal and I was feeling really good but the grogginess of the high dose has never really improved so want to decrease the dose.

6 days ago I went down to 30mg with Dr's permission and today the old familiar feeling of dread/anxiety/fear has been coming over me. I've started wondering how I'll make it through the day/week and I haven't felt like this whilst being on 40mg.

Should I immediately go back to 40? Or leave it a bit longer?

I HATE this feeling. I forgot how souls destroying it was.

CantGetNoSleeeeeeep Wed 03-Aug-16 20:14:12

Stick with it, reducing the dose causes temporary withdrawal symptoms. Google citalopram withdrawal, give it a few weeks and see if you settle, you most likely will settle. Hang in there

CantGetNoSleeeeeeep Wed 03-Aug-16 20:15:05

Maybe drop down more gently say 5mg a time so it feels less drastic

headinhands Wed 03-Aug-16 20:32:50

Yep, agree with pp. Taper it down. Maybe take 35mg a day for a week now that you've been taking 30mg for a few days anyway. Next stagger doing 35mg and 30mg every other day for a fortnight. Then 25/30mg etc. Slow and steady.

Bellyrub1980 Wed 03-Aug-16 21:11:26

By cutting tablets in half yeah?

Happyinthehazeofadrunkenhour Fri 05-Aug-16 20:25:35

Agree with pp's too. yes, cutting in half would be fine.

Bellyrub1980 Fri 05-Aug-16 23:21:33

Cheers.

I've been doing alternate 30mg and 40mg since reading the advice here. Still feeling anxious and paranoid.

Maybe I've done this a bit too soon.

How long should you feel 'well' for before lowering the dose? Is there an actual official guideline?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now