Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Depression, anxiety, or overactive thyroid ??

(1 Post)
Lovemusic33 Mon 01-Aug-16 09:20:46

Hi, I'm looking for advice, I am really confused. I am generally a happy easy going person, I have suffered with anxiety in the past but never depression.

18 months ago I split with my husband ( though it felt like we were separated for years ), this was a tough time but I got through it and then met someone else, things have been hard with my new partner, and iver the last few months I have found myself feeling paranoid, very anxious and not sleeping. I have had bouts of anorexia and bouts of binge eating ( I am a bit OCD about my weight as I have lost a lot and now consider myself as being fit and not over weight ), my weight yo yo' which causes me more anxiety. For the past month or so I have been having problems sleeping, when I do sleep I have weird dreams, I often have hot sweats which makes sleeping even more difficult. I cry most days, just because I feel anxious and low, the slightest thing sets me off ( dp forgetting to text me, the kids not doing as they are told, etc...etc...).
For 5 days of the month I am hit with severe PMT, it's seems to be getting worse and then I get anxious knowing it's almost that time again. I can feel suicidal, I have self harmed ( once, but I'm finding it hard not to do it again ), I spend whole days just crying, I snap at dp and at the kids just for looking at me wrong.

My period has just finished and it resulted in dp trying to drive me to hospital ( I was that bad ), I persuaded him not too and he took me home, I have made an appointment for this week to see a female doctor. I really don't want to end up on anti depressants as I will worry more about gaining weight and the other side effects that come with using them.

This really isn't like me at all and I am wondering if it could be a hormonal imbalance ( thyroid related ) rather than depression?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now