Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

If you have been depressed since childhood will it ever get better?

(2 Posts)
sparkle789 Wed 27-Jul-16 00:03:17

I've been depressed since I was a child. I have spent 20years feeling like this. The last 10 I've been on medication and had cbt. I am better than I was a few years ago, but I still have bad patches. I can feel that in sliding back into one. I've not long been discharged from the Mht, I'm on the highest does already for my meds. I can't face changing them again, I don't want to go back to the gp again and say I'm struggling.
Is this just how it will always be. I don't know what normal is, I am so sick of this cycle.
Do you think it's possible that one day I'll just be ok?

SemiNormal Wed 27-Jul-16 01:39:05

flowers

I was very depressed from a very young age, the cause of my depression was 'someone' and how that someone treated me from the age of 6yrs to 16yrs. When they were removed from my life I continued feeling depressed (along with other mental health issues) for another 10 years. I honestly thought it would never ever go away, I was so exhausted from it.

Gradually though the good days increased and the bad days decreased. It was a long process, medication helped me but it took a long time to find the right one for me. It also took a very long time to find the right psychiatrist and there were days I just wanted to give up.

So to answer your question, yes, it can get better. I never would have believed it myself back when I was in my pit of dispair, it just didn't seem possible.

Aside from medication and psychiatrists there is a lot you can do for yourself - I really believe that the most instrumental person/thing in dealing with depression is the person themselves.

I never have a 'bad day' any more, I do have days where I feel a bit low but nothing at all like before.

Things that helped me -

Forcing myself to get dressed every morning and go to the shop. It made me go out and forced me into a routine. The fresh air did me good.

I wrote (still do) 3 things I am grateful for every single day.

I made myself be just a little more social. My automatic response to an invitation was 'no thanks' - now I will occasionly say yes.

I am kind to myself. WOW did I used to beat myself up mentally, no wonder my confidence was zero. I will sometimes look in the mirror and tell myself I'm looking great today. I can now accept a compliment (a big thing for me).

I ditched black clothes. I wasn't goth but I could understand how I could be mistaken for one. I went to the charity shop and bought brighter clothing, nothing neon or anything like that but whites, yellows. It really perked me up.

Taking care of my appearance. I never used to give a shit, some days I still don't. However I do always feel better if I've just put a bit of mascara on and styled my hair rather than just scraping it back in a ponytail. I'll never be a fake tan, full face make kind of person though.

Sticking up for myself. I learnt how to deal with toxic people. Some I have cut out of my life forever and it feels great.

Self help for depression, in my opinion, is crucial, you can't rely on someone else to fix you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now