Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Please tell me I can do this

(3 Posts)
nixnjj Mon 18-Jul-16 15:22:29

It's my sons year 6 leavers graduation/meal tonight. I'm terrified, 30others all coupled up. Eating in front of people, making polite conversation, photos etc. It the stuff of nightmares. I don't want to go but can't let my son down. Have been sick and in tears all day.

pippistrelle Mon 18-Jul-16 18:06:08

I don't want to go but can't let my son down.

I hope it's okay. It might help if you think that it's the last demand that primary school will make on you, and there's really very little involvement expected once they're at secondary school. But I hear you, OP - I remember dreading a similar event this time last year: haven't really thought about it since. Just focus on your son.

Wolfiefan Mon 18-Jul-16 18:09:32

Eat something before you go? Then you don't have to actually finish your food or order a proper meal if you don't want to.
Make a list of topics to talk about. School trips or secondary school or holiday plans. Banal and light topics.
Will there be anyone you know there who can be a buffer?
Sit at the edge of the table so you don't feel hemmed in?
Or just don't go! Doubt it will bother him too much. Are kids and parents all going?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now