Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Has exercise (especially running) helped your depression?

(41 Posts)
pinkiepink Fri 15-Jul-16 19:51:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheNotoriousPMT Fri 15-Jul-16 20:02:01

Yes, definitely. Exercise was essential to my recovery and ongoing well-ness.

I'm very lucky to live with a very scenic area close by, and being able to put my trainers on and get some quiet time is wonderful. Also, I sleep better and have more energy.

Being involved in a club was helpful too - having a routine, people to talk to, a bit of a social thing too.

Get your bra and trainers on and get out there. You'll be so glad you did smile

MelanieCheeks Fri 15-Jul-16 20:03:38

Yes. Cant give you inspirational stories, but I know that I love being able to run off the crazy.

pinkiepink Fri 15-Jul-16 20:17:37

Hopelass Fri 15-Jul-16 20:22:48

100% yes. Walking and then running saved me from a pit of PND. I actually am slightly obsessed by the park where I do my walking (no running at the mo as am pregnant again) and get withdrawal symptoms if I can't go!!! I view it with a mix of can't be arsed and excitement and once I've been I feel on top of the world.

megletthesecond Fri 15-Jul-16 20:23:13

Yes. Fresh air, trees, flowers, squirrels and rosy cheeks. I'm not especially endorphin-y but cardio and running definitely perk my mood up and keep the black dog at bay..

sunshine75 Fri 15-Jul-16 20:25:52

Hell, yes. It keeps me sane.

I used to run for times/competition/a club.

Now I run for my mental health. Get a proper endorphin rush that no other exercise gives me.

KittyandTeal Fri 15-Jul-16 20:27:56

Yes, I have bpd. I have struggled for years. I started doing various exercise to get in shape after I had dd1. I found it lifted my mood and I loved it.

After I lost dd2 I couldn't face the social element of gym classes and started running, outside, in the countryside, on my own. I have never looked back. Between that and a decent diet I think more than anything else it has helped me stabilise my mood and keep it on a decent level.

I plan runs in, so I always run mon, weds and on the wknd. I then find I just get out and do it. Sometimes I do extra when I need it.

I've recently got a charity place for the London marathon and so I'm starting training for that soon, that'll force me out in the winter.

KoalaDownUnder Fri 15-Jul-16 20:34:04

God yes.

Exercise is fundamental to managing my depression. I injured my foot recently and felt awful after a few days of not being able to run.

Don't think about it as 'getting back into exercise', or you'll blow it up into a huge chore in your mind. Just go once, then again, and again, until it becomes a habit. Tell yourself you can stop any time you want.

Also, choose different routes. I have one that goes past a nice takeaway coffee shop, and one that cuts through a lovely park.

Make sure you have decent running shoes, socks, sports bras. You don't need to spend a fortune - just make sure you're comfortable.

Load your iPod/phone with playlists of songs you love.

Good luck. You will feel soooo much better. smile

pinkiepink Fri 15-Jul-16 20:35:26

pinkiepink Fri 15-Jul-16 20:40:35

MelanieCheeks Fri 15-Jul-16 23:26:26

If there's one near you, Parkrun. You'll find them a very supportive and encouraging bunch.

OnTheTurningAway Fri 15-Jul-16 23:32:33

I feel like I must be weirdo. Exercise makes me break down and cry feeling overwhelmed. 20mins jog (I can't run fast!) = an hour of crying and weepy for rest of the night. The overall effect is therapeutic I guess! I suppose it's something to do with releasing emotional tension. But I have to time exercise carefully cos combined with the inevitable weeping afterwars it's incredibly draining!

dangermouseisace Sat 16-Jul-16 19:08:00

definitely. Although meds helped too- I could tell something was wrong when I would run (well drag myself through) half marathon distance and still feel like shit.

Can't run due to injury at the moment= feel the worst I've felt for a long time.

For me, the social part is important, I'm part of a running club, as is being outdoors and of course the endorphins. I'd very much recommend joining a club- I'm a member of a trail running club full of people of all shapes, sizes, ages and stages of fitness, and I've achieved things I never thought was possible. When I had a bad patch last/this year club were tremendously supportive. Most of us run for our sanity, it seems. You don't have to be 'athletic', and many clubs do beginners courses at points throughout the year.

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Sat 16-Jul-16 21:01:45

I've not done running, but cycling really improved my mental health. Not only because I was getting outdoors, but because it helped to keep the meds weight gain down. Of course when I get depressed, it's one of the first thing that goes, but when I'm pulling out of depression it helps enormously.

ImperialBlether Sat 16-Jul-16 21:03:34

My daughter suffered from depression and now does yoga, either in classes or using YouTube. She hasn't had a moment of depression since.

AyeAmarok Sat 16-Jul-16 21:10:09

Yep, it worked brilliantly for me. No problem seems as overwhelming after I've been for a run. Helps put everything into perspective.

Additionally, it's also great for helping me sleep, which again makes me feel 100 times better as if I wasn't running and walking I'd lie awake until the early hours and those are horrible, lonely and extremely depressing hours of the day.

Podcasts are brilliant to listen to on walks/runs. I listen to comedy/political satire and laugh out loud to myself.

pinkiepink Sat 16-Jul-16 22:10:15

SlipperyJack Sat 16-Jul-16 22:17:48

Yes to running, and a double yes to parkrun!

I find I really need the headspace that a run gives me. I'm pretty much a slow plodder, but I don't care. And on days when legs, lungs and head are all in sync, and it feels like I'm skimming over the ground...there's no feeling like it.

I second what the poster above said about parkrun. It's friendly and supportive - nobody cares how fast or slow you are, or indeed what you look like - and you can max the therapeutic benefits by volunteering. Soon you realise you're part of a huge community smile It's truly one of the best things to happen to me.

AyeAmarok Sun 17-Jul-16 08:52:30

I try and run at least 4 times a week normally. Usually between 4-10k, shorter during the week and try and do a longer one at weekends.

I'm pregnant at the moment so runs are getting shorter and I'm trying to alternative with going for a 1-2 hour walk before bed as they are also great for helping me sleep.

Also thirding Parkrun!

pinkiepink Sun 17-Jul-16 23:30:25

AyeAmarok Sun 17-Jul-16 23:33:11

Well done!

Hopefully you sleep well tonight too!

And if you're sore tomorrow, the best thing to do is go out and do it again smile

midnightlurker Sun 17-Jul-16 23:34:21

Well done! Running has always helped me. Any cardio for 20min+ will do but running is lovely and free. I find horse riding is even better but £££!

pinkiepink Mon 18-Jul-16 20:35:54

SnowCurl Mon 18-Jul-16 20:51:57

Well done! I am not a runner. Have never been able to get into it but wish I could. I do get on with yoga though. I find it one of the few things to help me shut off and it definitely makes me feel better. Makes me feel mentally and physically stronger. I noticed better sleep, especially after a Bikram class. That really gets the blood pumping! Xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now