Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Mental health affecting work

(6 Posts)
ChunkyMonkey4321 Wed 13-Jul-16 11:45:34

I've just run out of a class in tears - it's really not like me. Kids have someone with them. I've currently got a cover supervisor role as its a lot let stressful than teaching and I like leaving my work at work. But my work as getting affected even now. I am starting psychotherapy in September but I feel like I just can't cope with work and everything else in my life. I don't know how I can continue.

How is it possible that people get sickness benefit for mental health conditions? I've always just plodded along but it's getting really bad at the moment

exWifebeginsat40 Wed 13-Jul-16 12:11:13

i don't understand what you mean by 'how is it possible' ? i had a breakdown in 2012 and have been on ESA and DLA/PIP ever since.

are you on any medication? do you see a CPN or GP regularly? you sound very stressed. i'm sorry things feel so bad - be kind to yourself.

ChunkyMonkey4321 Wed 13-Jul-16 12:13:40

That's what I mean - how do you go about it? Surely you can't just say - oh I'm stressed I'm not gonna work anymore. I didn't want it to affect my work but it really does

Mumble29 Wed 13-Jul-16 12:20:16

OP maybe you need some time out to help yourself get better, plodding along doesn't help as eventually you will hit a brick wall ( I know, cos I'm in that position right now) it's a horrible place to be. Please look after yourself

exWifebeginsat40 Wed 13-Jul-16 12:20:19

are you having psychotherapy on the NHS? you need to speak to your GP and get him to sign you off if you don't feel able to be at work.

i claimed ESA when i was in hospital for a month. i had worked all my adult life and mine is based on contributions, and i am in the Support Group which means my claim runs 'indefinitely' without sick notes. i do have to fill in review forms every year.

your first stop really has to be your GP.

Mumble29 Wed 13-Jul-16 12:21:57

Sorry meant to add, go to your doctor and explain how you are feeling, I'm signed off work at the moment ( also work in a school) my employer and doctor have both been sympathetic, hopefully yours will too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now