Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Eating Disorder inpatient Treatment?

(7 Posts)
needadvice32 Sat 09-Jul-16 19:14:55

I wondered if anyone had any experience of Adult Eating Disorder Services? I am going for my assessment and inpatient has been mentioned by my GP. Could anyone tell me what BMI they were admitted at? Do they just go on ones BMI or other factors. I am eighteen so I have too see adult services. I know its a lot different to CAMHS? My GP said if I was 17 CAMHS would of admitted me?

Thanks it's stressing me so much x

Emz449 Sat 09-Jul-16 19:27:31

Hello, sorry to hear that you are going through this flowers My experience was with private treatment and inpatient treatment wasn't just based on BMI alone, it was physical and mental factors too. I was 22 and BMI 16.5 when going through it and it did help a lot at the time. Even though you're technically an adult you'll receive as much support as you need and want. I found it extremely helpful. I can't tell you what the NHS side of treatment is like other than that there are long waiting lists and certain stipulations which made my parents decide on private treatment. This could have changed now though, it was about 8 years ago. Good luck for the future flowers

FruitCider Sat 09-Jul-16 19:29:35

Hi OP, I've got a fair bit of experience from banking on a EDU but can only speak about admissions thresholds for my local unit.

First of all, it depends on the condition. Generally speaking because there is so much demand, people with anorexia are not admitted until their BMI drops below 14. With bulimia and diarexia (the misuse of insulin to cause weight loss in people with diabetes) people tend to be admitted with BMI's that are higher, although admissions for bulimia are rare.

To be honest admission (especially under the mental health act) for people with eating disorders can be particularly traumatising. Have mental health services explored a community treatment options with you?

cbigs Sat 09-Jul-16 19:35:09

Hi op I worked in edu for 10 yrs . Our patients for admitted with bmi's ranging from 10- whatever really . Depending on the nature of your eating disorder. Obviously if your progress is slipping it's better to stop the slip than fall further ...
X

cbigs Sat 09-Jul-16 19:37:00

If people's bloods are off we had quite a lot of bulimic admitted for stabilising . It is ofcourse a tough recovery but well worth it to get your life back!!

needadvice32 Sat 09-Jul-16 20:11:21

Thank you I am BMI 15.2 so it shouldn't be an issue. They mentioned Inpatient or general to monitor my physical health short term?Xx

cbigs Sat 09-Jul-16 20:23:52

How are your bloods? Often the inpatient is to physically stabilise and symptom interruption or for re feeding. You may be aware re feeding syndrome is really dangerous so needs to be managed to avoid sending your bloods off etc . It really depends on the way you present in terms of your Ed ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now