Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Just looking for some advice...

(6 Posts)
Chloebw Sun 03-Jul-16 17:47:34

Hi, I'm a single mum of one. I have a decentish job where I work full time. I'm constantly busy between working/commuting/wee one. I have enough money. Like I'm not loaded but live comfortable, 2 holidays a year, nice house etc. I'm not a model but I'm not unattractive and I have a healthy happy toddler. However I feel so lonely. I'm always either with my dd or work friends but I honestly don't have any decent relationships because I have no way of developing them as I have no "free time." I have a few evenings a week to myself because my parents take dd over night so I can not rush about. But can't really do anything as I am up at 6 to work an 8-6 shift. Any friends I did have I'm sure would still be pleased to see me but I'm never free. I'm unable to dovelop romantic relationships seriously as I don't have time to do anything! Can't have late nights etc or mini breaks away so it never goes anywhere. I'm just really down about it all and just feel over the last few years although people always say how much they admire my hard work and dedication to working full time and juggling looking after dd alone that my life is just "nothing." It isn't going anywhere and I have no clear plan for the future....I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm moaning in honestly not I just feel really empty

ProfessorPreciseaBug Mon 04-Jul-16 06:17:18

It sounds like the malaise of modern life. If you have a job it is all consuming. Otherwise you are unemployed and on the outside because of poverty.

Has it always been thus? Or was ther a time when life was genuinly better?

Rhubardandcustard Mon 04-Jul-16 06:22:14

Any chance you can reduce your hours, if money isn't too tight? I am single parent and work school hours and it has made such a difference to my life. Also are there any local single parent meet up groups you could join? If money isn't too tight how about getting a baby sitter once a fortnight and joining a local group, singing, dancing,yoga etc so you can meet people?

Chloebw Mon 04-Jul-16 23:44:01

Thanks for the posts. I don't know if it's always been like this. I think maybe, but I can't think any different. Just feel so empty with it all.
I thought about reducing my hours but I want a bigger property and in my mind I have fought against my situation and have worked so hard to juggle the two. But yeah maybe your right I should look for groups. Any idea how you find out about local groups?

Rhubardandcustard Tue 05-Jul-16 06:01:45

Local groups you could try meetup or search online for local groups. Try your local library they normally have lots local information. Depends what kind of group, the one I joined it's all single people so there are cinema trips, theatre trips, days out, holidays, eating out etc or you could try one just focused on a hobby, singing, exercise etc.

Chloebw Wed 06-Jul-16 22:33:17

Thanks, yeah I am not overweight but would like to loose some weight so was looking at a slimming class. My friend goes and she quite enjoys it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now