Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

What is the correct dose of St John's Wort?

(3 Posts)
Monkeymodge Thu 16-Jun-16 13:10:25

Am struggling a bit mentally at the moment, I had a baby 5 months ago and have two others aged 5 and 2. I really don't want to take ADs, for various reasons, so am trying SJW, but am confused about the dosage. The packet I bought (Moodease from Holland & Barrett) says 450mg per day - ie 1 tablet a day - but various views online that the correct dose is 900mg. Can anyone shed any light? I want to give it the best possible chance of having an effect.

Archfarchnad Thu 16-Jun-16 13:22:05

The correct 'medical' dose for an adult is indeed 900mg daily, but I would advise only taking that with the approval / knowledge of a doctor.

You know that it can decrease the effectiveness of the Pill, it can make you more vulnerable to the sun, and there are certain conditions (such as heart problems) where it's an absolute no-no?

When taken regularly long term it can really perk you up as long as it's fairly low-grade depression you've got (a 'meh' feeling rather than an 'oh god I can't go on like this' feeling) - it can easily take 3 weeks to start taking an effect though.

Monkeymodge Thu 16-Jun-16 16:31:42

Thanks for that, definitely still in the realms of a "meh" feeling. I will talk to my doctor about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now