Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Been off Fluoxetine for nearly a week

(11 Posts)
blacklabroo Tue 24-May-16 09:36:55

I won't go into too much detail but due to a recent trauma I forgot to take my 20mg last Thursday and I've not taken since. I've been on them since February so I'm hoping I won't have any severe side effects.

I'm feeling ok so far, I wanted to get off them Anyways as I felt they were making me super tired and unable to do daily tasks (I have a mental block doing laundryconfused). I just want to be normal and depression/ anxiety free, this was my hope to feel normal after Cbt and counselling but the medication didn't seem to work either.

Anyone done what I've done? Am I harming myself more?

blacklabroo Tue 24-May-16 18:41:19

Anyone?

Mishaps Tue 24-May-16 18:51:33

Even if you have only been on them a few months they do need to be tailed off under medical supervision. My fiend went of them suddenly and became quite unwell.

OnlyHereForTheCamping Tue 24-May-16 18:56:02

I came off them without any mishap but it would be sensible to see your GPs

blacklabroo Tue 24-May-16 19:03:06

Thanks both of you, I found the tiredness unbearable. So far today I've had a bit of a headache this afternoon and felt sleepy but I don't want to 'wean' off I'm hoping cold turkey will be ok...

wolfwhistleme Tue 24-May-16 19:37:45

I found mine (10mg daily) took about 3 months to kick in anyway, on them for best part of a year and then occasionally forgot to take them until eventually stopped. Are you sure you're ready to stop rather than reduce dosage?

Mooey89 Tue 24-May-16 19:40:18

I stopped mine recently, thought I was fine, then big crash, signed off work and back on it again.

Definitely do under GP supervision

Jimjamjoos Tue 24-May-16 19:46:25

IME and reading on MN you can hit a bad patch around 2 weeks. Just make life as easy as possible for the next month at least. Try to avoid alcohol. Let people close to you know that you're on a withdrawal.

blacklabroo Tue 24-May-16 20:32:27

I'm hoping as I've not been on it long I won't crash. Appreciate your feedback thank you

Leag1 Tue 24-May-16 20:42:22

hi, im a pharmacist so i can add medical input if wanted.
fluoxetine has a long half life, so when you stop taking it it stay in the body for a while, will only completely clear after 4-6 weeks, so stopping for one week wont really have to much of an effect. if you continue to stay off it you may find your symptoms will progressively get worse as time goes on. whilst taking medication is your choice, you should just be aware that this may happen. (this is the reason that when you switch from fluoxetine to another SSRI you take time out before the new one, otherwise there is a risk of overdose)
sorry i think ive rambled too much

blacklabroo Wed 25-May-16 08:36:42

Thanks Leag, I really appreciate your thoughts and advice. I'm feeling not right again, taking ADs was hopefully going to level off my depression/ anxiety but it hasn't. Cold turkey rather than gradual I feel is my only option, symptoms can't be any worse than I had before

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now