Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Has anyone tried an AD that just didn't work for them?

(8 Posts)
Psion Sun 22-May-16 20:59:03

Have been on Trazadone for 9 weeks tomorrow. Titrated up from 100mg through to 200mg, and have been on the 200mg dose for over a month.

Similarly, have been on Quetiapine for nearly 5 weeks. Titrated up from 50mg through to 125mg. Have been on the 125mg dose for just over 2 weeks.

It isn't working. I feel no better than when.I first started. I had maybe 3 sporadic days a couple of weeks ago where I thought it was finally kicking in. But this last week I have felt worse than ever, culminating in an admittedly pathetic attempt to cut my wrist yesterday morning sad

I actually cut my fingers more, snapping open DH's Gillette razor head. But I made several very shallow cuts to my left wrist, before I started to heave and go faint. Poor DH heard me heaving, rushed in and was horrified. Blood in the sink.

Told the Crisis Team and they're reviewing my meds tomorrow, but have been told the psych will probably want to just increase the Quetiapine to 150mg.

I don't really see the point.

Orchidflower1 Sun 22-May-16 21:51:39

Poor you psion I've read some of your other threads/ posts And you're having such a rough time. I've only tried fluoxetine which made me really Unwell due to side effects - I've got ecitlaprim sitting in my handbag which I don't want to take for fear of side effects. Sending you kind thoughts xxx

megletthesecond Sun 22-May-16 21:57:39

Yes, seroxat almost 20yrs ago. I was one of the unlucky ones who discovered what damage it can do. I got myself off it sharpish.

Tbh all the anti-d's I've tried make me sleepy or nauseous so I gave up on them years ago. I ended up finding different ways to live with and minimise depression. Exercise really.

NanaNina Mon 23-May-16 20:13:37

Yes - lots! I haven't found one (or a combination) that gives me any prolonged relief in 6 years! I've tried imipramine (that worked for 14 years but stupidly I came off it - relapsed - went back on it but didn't really work. Then Mirtazapine was added - then I changed to Sertraline, then Venlafaxine (ghastly drug!) then lithium (which I'm still on) but no change for the better. Just started Vortyioxetine (fairly new drug) but don't hold out any hopes...........the only thing left is ECT which my psych wants me to have but I'm scared of memory loss.

WanderingTrolley1 Mon 23-May-16 22:08:00

Citalopram didn't help me.
Sertraline didn't help me.
On Venlafaxine now and it's not helping, either.

magnificatAnimaMea Tue 24-May-16 06:24:23

Yep. Sorry to hear you are having a rough time.

I tried fluoxetine, citalopram, and venlafaxine. Fluoxetine made me feel numb and sick; citalopram made me climb the walls with anxiety, venlafaxine made me feel numb and brain-dead, and then when i tried it again 5 years later, a single dose made me climb the walls with crippling anxiety and restlessnesss for weeks.

So now I do exercise, sunshine, a less stressful job, and needing to resort to talking therapies if I can ever get access to them...

cherrytree63 Tue 24-May-16 06:34:52

I took Fluoxetine when I was perimenopausal which calmed me down but I couldn't cope with the dreams.
Citalopram and Sertraline made me feel like I'd been run over by a train.
I was given Amitriptyline for pain relief but it knocked me out and have me a really bad migraine.
Don't think I can face trying anything else!

cookiecooks Tue 24-May-16 07:42:00

Fluoxetine - 60mg for a year and still felt as awful but with added horrific, vivid dreams.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now