Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Really proud of myself today

(15 Posts)
mrgrouper Thu 05-May-16 13:30:01

Have been battling severe depression for a few weeks now.
3 days ago I did my first 1 hour run and have done another one today.
I really need to push myself to go out, but once I have done the run I feel much better.
Will keep working on beating this depression and moving on with my life.
Getting a new family support worker who I am meeting tomorrow so hoping that will help too.

situatedknowledge Thu 05-May-16 13:30:58

Well done! flowers

Orchidflower1 Thu 05-May-16 20:04:51

Well done you!!! smile

CantGetNoSleeeeeeep Thu 05-May-16 21:22:26

Well done that's excellent! You are motivating me now too! Keep going

Fauchelevent Thu 05-May-16 21:31:55

That's amazing! I know how hard it can be to get motivated in the face of depression so you have done so well and I'm proud of you!

dangermouseisace Thu 05-May-16 21:32:44

Brilliant! So good to hear good news well done!

Imnotaslimjim Thu 05-May-16 21:35:05

Well done, that's a huge step on the road to recovery. Keep going!! flowers

Wolfiefan Thu 05-May-16 21:37:24

You complete superstar! I've had depression and exercise has really helped me. It's a natural high and gets you out the house too. Well done you.
flowers

Campbell2016 Thu 05-May-16 21:38:00

Fabulous! Well done smile what a lovely day.

mrgrouper Sat 07-May-16 12:23:26

well it is working! I have gone from severe depression on the Goldman scale to moderate/severe depression. Convinced it is the running that has cheered me up and I have lost a bit of weight too

BuffyChiro Sat 07-May-16 22:58:18

That's great, well done!

Your post has really motivated me too - I used to enjoy running but have been struggling with depression for a few months now and haven't been able to motivate myself, even though I know it will help.Feeling a little more hopeful now. Keep going!

mrgrouper Mon 09-May-16 14:02:56

another 40 minute run today and now only moderate depression.
going to study some maths now as my dream is to go to uni next year to study physics. did my a levels in 1994 so want to refresh my knowledge

Twitterqueen Mon 09-May-16 14:06:19

Brilliant! Well done. Running will very soon become a habit and then you'll find you actually want to do it and you're not having to make yourself do it. I've always enjoyed it, whatever the weather. You do your own thing, go at your pace, listen to your music (if you want to). It's very liberating.

Pink6string Mon 09-May-16 14:10:52

Well done mrgrouper and hour run is a fantastic achievement, in fact any amount of exercise is a fantastic achievement at any time, more so when you are suffering with depression.

I've been signed off work, due to depression and anxiety, for another 2 months (already been off for almost 1 month) I managed a 20 minute run 3.5 weeks ago and cant seem to build up the courage to get to it.

Keep up the hard work, you are doing fantastically.

mrgrouper Thu 12-May-16 11:46:19

feeling really down today. Did an hour long jog yesterday so today is a rest day. There appears to be virtually no funding for a second undergraduate degree, so I am forced to go cap in hand to my sociopathic violent dad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now