Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Psychosis Support Thread

(8 Posts)
TheGhostOfBarryFairbrother Wed 27-Apr-16 19:30:38

Hello!

Coming out the other side of a psychotic episode and wondered if there are any other people out there who have experienced or are experiencing psychosis.

I have a diagnosis of schizo-affective disorder as I have had periods of depression, mania and psychosis. At Christmas my then psychiatrist told my parents that I would never be independent, but I am hoping that with the right medication (I'm on enough to sink a ship) and therapeutic support (I'm currently attending a day hospital) that I will be able to restart my PhD in September.

I have spent five of the last twelve months in hospital, at times under section and it's been somewhat traumatic. I also struggle a lot with trusting my own mind and differentiating between reality and psychosis. When I get ill I lose all insight.

Anyway, that's enough about me... is there anyone else out there?

Heaveniswaiting Wed 27-Apr-16 19:44:14

Hiya, I've had psychosis too, it's awful isn't it. Mine has always been tied up with paranoia and anxiety, coming at a time of being very low in mood. It's usually centred around similar themes.
I'm on Abilify and sertraline which works really well for me. I was previously diagnosed with psychotic depression but more recently it was changed to bipolar affective disorder.
I'm glad to read you're doing well, long may it continue!

Foxyspook Wed 27-Apr-16 20:26:46

I have bipolar and suffer from psychosis - both high and low - when unmedicated. I am on enough medication to sink a ship as well but I do well on it.

When I was in my 20s I think my prognosis would have been the same as your psychiatrist offered your parents - all doom and gloom. Now, I am a (hopefully) good mother to 2 children and lead a generally fulfilling life.

I hope life improves for you. A healthy life style with as much sleep as you can, helps me a lot.

TheGhostOfBarryFairbrother Wed 27-Apr-16 20:38:48

Thank you Foxy and Heaven it's nice to know that I am not alone. Until last summer I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder but then had a major psychotic episode and ended up with the schizo-affective diagnosis.

I am very scared of relapse and how it will evolve over time. The last two years have been terrible - I've had rapid cycling and the good times never last long.

About three weeks ago my psychiatrist increased my antipsychotic to 150% of the maximum dose and it has been life changing. The background voices are quieter and I'm no longer in permanent battle with "the Devil". I feel clear headed for the first time in a long while and I'm scared that it won't last rather than enjoying it... confused

Foxyspook Wed 27-Apr-16 22:21:52

So you are on another 50% more than maximum? Presumably they have tried all the usual combinations already? I am glad it works anyway. You need some breathing space to try get life back together. Good luck

0phelia Wed 27-Apr-16 22:34:43

Are you able to return to your PHD on a part-time basis?

TheGhostOfBarryFairbrother Thu 28-Apr-16 08:26:14

Yes, on 1200mg instead of 800mg. It's really made a difference although getting up in the morning is even harder.

I'm doing my PhD in the UK but am currently living with my parents in another country (the NHS let me down when I was in real crisis so some friends bundled me onto a plane home where I was immediately admitted). The plan is to restart the PhD gradually from my parents' home whilst still attending the day hospital a couple of times a week. Then once things feel stable I can think about more independence. I have to restart in September fulltime or I lose my funding...

Sleep is being an issue this week! Yoyoing between not enough and too much!

Foxyspook Thu 28-Apr-16 08:32:56

It sounds like a good plan for getting some confidence in yourself again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now