Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Shaking off suicidal feelings

(8 Posts)
GretchenBeckett Tue 26-Apr-16 18:15:06

How? the usual things aren't working. I'm not actually going to do it because I have dc to think of. I long to do it.

Marchate Tue 26-Apr-16 21:02:05

You have to think of something good - your dc - and tell yourself tomorrow will be a better day

Has something made you feel so bad, or are you often depressed?

spanky2 Tue 26-Apr-16 21:09:08

Get down to the doctor. Remember your dcs. I've been there and got through it. Your brain is programmed to solve problems. It has come up with suicide as the solution. Obviously it's not the solution as this is from the old reptile brain. It just feels easier at the moment. Your dcs need you, you know you can't. Bed is my safe place. Do you have a safe place in your house?

GretchenBeckett Mon 02-May-16 10:05:40

I'm on quite a bit of medication already, have been like this for 5 years. I was in an abusive marriage but finally left 3 years ago. I reported him to the police and he ended up getting a lengthy prison sentence but I've felt really low ever since the court case last year.

Marchate Mon 02-May-16 13:25:56

The marriage will probably be at the root of your current health problems. I wonder if you think about it too much, bringing your mood down?

Can you get help talking through the issues you can't shake off? Maybe counselling?

GretchenBeckett Mon 02-May-16 14:36:23

I've been in a waiting list for couselling for but getting nowhere so I've just booked to see a private cousellor.

jellybeansprout Mon 02-May-16 14:53:20

Samaritans are on 116123. flowers

notabee Tue 03-May-16 12:27:47

For me the ultimate thing is visualising my child being told of my death without me there to comfort them or just hug them.
Someone once told me that all suicide does is pass on your pain to those that love you, in my case it's my dc. That really has stopped me trying again (I had failed attempts years ago that I regret every single day).
Day to day, if I start to have those thoughts, I try and see a friend or get out the house. I sometimes even go for a walk. If I feel unable then I retreat into my room or try and distract myself.
Do speak to your gp again though, there are meds that may help you more. Be honest with him / her.
Take care of yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now