Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Fluoxetine making me worse?

(20 Posts)
Orchidflower1 Tue 19-Apr-16 08:34:08

Hi all could do with some support- I'm on day 6 of fluoxetine and feeling way way worse than before. Sicky tummy, super anxious and headache- doc says I may feel worse before it gets better but this is getting unbearable. Has anyone else had this? Please help😢

MrsGradyOldLady Tue 19-Apr-16 08:47:31

I have just changed from citalapram to fluoxetine and am on day 2. I only took the citalapram for a week as I just couldn't bear it - I was just so tired and could barely remember what day it was let alone do my job effectively.

I've had fluoxetine many times in the past and have had the anxious feelings you describe. My doctor also prescribed beta blockers but I found I didn't need them after the first few weeks so I'd try and stick with them for another week at least. And make sure you eat even if it's just things like soup or smoothies.

Long term can you try and get some cbt? That's really helpful for both anxiety and depression. I was well for years but then I got lazy and stopped practising the techniques so got sick again...

MrsGradyOldLady Tue 19-Apr-16 08:50:11

And if you feel like you need to cry then DO. I had a whole 24 hours of self indulgent sobbing at the weekend and it was just such a release. I feel so much calmer now.

Orchidflower1 Tue 19-Apr-16 08:58:22

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to ask my doc for cbt. I've spent the last three days virtually bed bound with the upset tummy and anxiety. My dh has been great but I need to know there is light at the end of the tunnel! Did you find that the fluoxetine took away the anxiety once the side effects finished? X

MrsGradyOldLady Tue 19-Apr-16 09:13:33

No not really. I was on a dose for depression though. I may be wrong but I think the dose for anxiety is different? I found cbt, swimming and walking all good for my anxiety but it's very difficult to do any of those things when all you want to do is stay in bed all day.

I know people take citalapram for depression and anxiety but for me I just couldn't function on it. Other people get on better with it though so if the prozac doesn't work in a few weeks you could perhaps change.

Is there any way you could go and see a private cbt therapist? It costs 45 quid an hour where I am but you can get straight in and I found I only needed about 4 or 5 sessions. You can also get books on it. I got "cbt for dummies" but that was a few years ago and there are probably better books around.

MrsGradyOldLady Tue 19-Apr-16 09:16:05

If you're anxiety is that bad maybe you could get some diazepam? I'm not sure all doctors are as happy to prescribe as mine though. ..

Branleuse Tue 19-Apr-16 09:22:03

just come off it. I think half the antidepressants only make you feel theyre working because youre so relieved to be staving off the withdrawal symptoms

Like with smoking, and people thinking it calms them.

I had an initial benefit from my antidepressants, and then coincidently started drinking more, self harming. Things id never really done before.
Managed to come off them thank fuck, after a couple of years and whilst im not exactly stable, im better than I was on them.

I hope you explored other options too. Im sure you did xx
It isnt easy, I know

exWifebeginsat40 Tue 19-Apr-16 09:29:29

no no no. don't 'just come off it', OP. speak to your GP if you're really not getting on with it.

I took prozac for 2 years then it bottomed out on me. i've had several med changes and am now on a combination that seems to be working. talk to your doctor.

Orchidflower1 Tue 19-Apr-16 09:34:41

Thanks mrsgradyoldlady. I have got some Diazapam yesterday which is taking the edge of the anxiety. I have had anxiety for years but at a semi manageable level but just recently it's got worse- I've been off work for a month now. Part of me wants to stick with it as I've done nearly a week and I've read other posts where people feel so good on fluoxetine. Part of me want to pack in. I've tried beta blockers but they made me feel depressed and lowered my blood pressure too much. Was wondering about hypnotherapy too- although at the moment I don't feel well enough to go anywhere.

Branleuse Tue 19-Apr-16 09:37:58

I have actually recently re-started staking fluanxol/flupentixol for anxiety, and it works far better than any of the SSRIs ive tried, which I think are mostly useless for anxiety, but they get dished out like candy, and then the doctors can forget about you.
Benefit of fluanxol is it can be taken as and when, yet not addictive like diazepam, and it helps me sleep better than a sleeping pill, yet not in a drowsy way, more like it just calms me down so i sleep naturally

Orchidflower1 Tue 19-Apr-16 10:47:25

Thanks for your posts ladies 🌷

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Tue 19-Apr-16 12:00:07

I found that fluoxetine made my anxiety much worse and had to stop it. I moved on to sertraline which was much better. Different ADs affect different people in different ways.

Fluoxetine tends to start working after 2 or more weeks. If you're still horribly anxious by then, it may be worthwhile going back to the GP and asking for an alternative.

Orchidflower1 Tue 19-Apr-16 12:27:22

Did you find less side effects with the sertraline?

Cocoabutton Wed 20-Apr-16 21:33:02

I did not get on with fluoxetine at all, despite doctor increasing dose. It made me much worse - insomniac for months and then crashed with utter fatigue and exhaustion. I think you are supposed to give it a number of weeks, but if it doesn't help, I would not stay on it longer than that.

I came off fluoxetine gradually early March and started Sertraline today after a month or so of nothing. Actually felt much better off fluoxetine but still have PTSD symptoms, which Sertraline is supposed to help with. I hope so, anyway. Otherwise I will just have to keep doing my best with various coping strategies.

Hope you feel better soon

Cocoabutton Wed 20-Apr-16 21:36:26

I should add I got CBT on the NHS and am continuing with a therapist privately, so I would certainly follow that avenue. Services for what I needed beyond CBT were massively overstretched though; hence going private. I had to wait to be able to afford it, but it has helped very much so far.

MrsGradyOldLady Thu 21-Apr-16 07:52:32

Yes my cbt on the NHS was just a group session classroom style so although it was slightly helpful the private therapy was much better. It's sad but unfortunately I tend to go private wherever possible now. The NHS funding just isn't there. At least not where I live.

How are you feeling today?

FenellaMaxwell Thu 21-Apr-16 07:55:23

I didn't get past the first week as I am allergic. If you start to come out in any kind of skin rash, you need to go back to your gp.

Orchidflower1 Sat 23-Apr-16 13:22:48

Hey ladies just thought I'd let you know I saw my gp last night- was more or less leaning on dh as felt so terrible- took a asda bag in my handbag in case I was sick... So glam! My doc has decided I just can't tolerate the fluoxetine. Stopped last night as they will wean out of my body naturally unlike some ads. Haven't been sick today although still feeling rubbish but better than yesterday. Been referred for cbt and got more Diazapam to help with the nerves. How is everyone else doing? 💐

MrsGradyOldLady Sat 23-Apr-16 15:27:53

Glad you went back to the doctors -:and great news about the cbt.

I'm on day 6 now of prozac and have had no ill effects at all. Im already feeling so much better flowers

Orchidflower1 Sat 23-Apr-16 16:35:25

Hey mrs g ... Glad you're feeling better- it is so true that some ads don't suit some people. Going to look into private therapists as it could be a little wait for nhs cbt. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now