Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Paranoid about dying

(7 Posts)
peg90 Sat 09-Apr-16 20:49:11

I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong place but I was unsure where to post.

I have a gorgeous 6 month old DD who I just love more than anything. But the last few days I've had thoughts about me dying an leaving her.

I'm not ill (that I know of) and have no reason to think that I'll be dying soon. I just get so upset thinking of me lying on my death bed knowing I'm dying and having to say goodbye forever to my DD. I would see her grown up or have a family and it just crushes me.

I'm not sure if it's because I saw my FiL die from cancer really quickly (4 months from diagnosis to death) or if there is something else going on.

Any advice would be great!
Thanks

Marchate Sat 09-Apr-16 23:13:06

Do you worry about other things too? Do you think this idea has got stuck in your head and you can't shift it?

You should speak to your Health Visitor and/or GP as you may have PND or anxiety. I'm not a health professional so I could be completely wrong. But these are manageable conditions, once you get help

Take care

peg90 Sun 10-Apr-16 09:53:44

Thank you.

sazerashez Sun 10-Apr-16 10:42:58

Hi

I think this is common once you have kids. I am much more aware of my own mortality since having kids and I went through a phase when they were babies when these thoughts became quite intrusive. I'm not sure what helps just that I think it's quite common.

peg90 Sun 10-Apr-16 12:36:38

That's quite reassuring sazerashez, makes me feel better knowing I'm not going completely mad. Thanks.

sazerashez Sun 10-Apr-16 18:48:17

My friend and I were talking about it the other day as she has it too. It got to the point with me that I became quite fixated with it and I very nearly went to the doctors about it. If it becomes to consuming then I think maybe you should.

Simmi1 Sun 17-Apr-16 11:40:32

I have this too although mine has been brought on by being physically ill although not "serious" according to doctors. I have suddenly aged 40 developed quite severe IBS - all tests come back clear. I keep thinking this isn't normal, I don't feel well and therefore there must be something quite wrong with me that hadn't been picked up on yet. Of course this then leads me to think I will die and leave my children...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now