Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How do I know it's depression and not "just" external factors getting me down?

(9 Posts)
Hatefeelingdown Sat 09-Apr-16 13:27:12

I've had a terrible few years - money problems, debt, close family death, close family illness, marriage problems, health problems of my own ... Also as long as I can remember lack of self confidence, lack of self esteem .. Emotional eating, weight gain.

I've been taking anti depressants for a few years, but I don't think they're helping. I've been prescribed fluoroxetine (sp?) now to try, but am wondering if it's worth it .. It is this just a reaction to circumstances?

I'm trying to change things, and already have changed some things, but some are out of my control,I can't do anything about them.

I'm so fed up of feeling like this.

I know exercise is meant to help, but for various physical reasons this is difficult, apart from walking a little.

Any suggestions?

stilllovingmysleep Sat 09-Apr-16 13:28:54

If I were you I'd go to a very good counsellor or psychotherapist. Depression often is the result of what you call external factors. You've gone through a lot, it would help to talk it through with someone. Antidepressants on their own are not an ideal treatment and for many people they don't help at all.

Hatefeelingdown Sat 09-Apr-16 13:31:33

Thanks. My gp has referred me for counselling, but I've no idea how long it will take.

stilllovingmysleep Sat 09-Apr-16 14:15:41

Where did your GP refer you? Is it a good counsellor they have in house? An organisation? NHS? I would find this out if I were you as well as waiting list. Find all this out as really the quality of counselling varies hugely.

You can also look into psychotherapy organisations eg WPF or BPF or even more generally the UKCP with all its organisations: they often operate low fee clinics.

Hatefeelingdown Sat 09-Apr-16 14:23:15

I don't know sad

How would I find it? I've not lived here long, the gps are very sparing with information ! I dont know anyone I can ask.

Paying for counselling isn't an option .. I'm surviving on benefits.

stilllovingmysleep Sat 09-Apr-16 14:28:15

Why don't you go to your GP and say you're feeling really low and find out some info about what referral he or she has made? I'm sorry you're feeling so low. sad

Hatefeelingdown Sat 09-Apr-16 14:29:54

The gp made me feel like I was wasting her time. I really can't see any point in going back to her.

I'm in Wales, those organisations you mentioned don't seem to cover my area.

stilllovingmysleep Sat 09-Apr-16 15:30:02

Sorry to hear this about your GP! If your GP is so bad would you consider complaining or changing GP? They really shouldn't be behaving this way sad

Hatefeelingdown Sat 09-Apr-16 16:17:36

I've tried three out of four at the surgery, they were all the same really, this one is the best of a bad bunch!

There is another surgery I'm considering changing to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now