Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

when anti-depressants don't work - no depression?

(9 Posts)
Chapsy Fri 08-Apr-16 14:18:17

I've been on and off a range of different medications both SSRIs and Tricyclics since 2010 with varying degrees of effect. Also briefly added lithium but I found this almost impossible to take reliably and found myself deliberately missing doses at every opportunity.

Mood is relatively stable at the moment, and not as bad as it has been but I really don't experience much contentment and pleasure. I continue to be plagued by indecision, indecisiveness, lack of engagement in everyday activities and guilt guilt guilt for not being a happier better person.

If none of the drugs I've tried have really worked, is it possible that I don't have depression at all and that's why it cant be treated? If this is the case then there seems little point taking any medication at all. Does anyone have experience of ADs not working?

Marchate Fri 08-Apr-16 18:22:45

Is there something going on in your life that you feel is affecting your mood? For example your relationship, money worries, family arguments? Because some of these cause people to have symptoms identical to depression

Gems16 Fri 08-Apr-16 18:53:56

I suffered with post natal depression after my first son was born went 2 the doctors and I was put on antidepressants, at the start I found they helped with my mood but over time I started realising I didn't feel happy or sad! In fact I couldn't really feel many emotions I just felt numb! This ruined so much for me including my wedding day and what should of been important bonding time with my son. I blame it on those antidepressants, I really think they do more damage than good! Anyway I was eventually referred for talking therapy and weaned off all medication. I started taking 5htp which is a herbal antidepressant. I personally found this 2 be a miracle it really helped with my low mood and anxiety with none of the side effects of antideppresants the doctor gave me. After a few months I felt well enough 2 come off those and ive never looked back.

captaincake Fri 08-Apr-16 19:08:29

I took most antidepressants going and none of them did anything. It turned out the depression was being caused by the contraceptive implant and once that was out it disappeared within 2 weeks. I think some people have found it to be caused by thyroid problems?

Chapsy Sat 09-Apr-16 21:10:23

Thank you for the replies. Of course I can't expect to find the magic answer here.

I can't blame the contraceptive I don't think as I use the copper coil. Nothing obvious to blame in my everyday life. The only issues I have tend to be more the result of the "depression" eg: lack of focus and general apathy.

IdealWeather Sat 09-Apr-16 21:22:07

Anti depressant are notorious not not always work. So I really wouldn't use that as a way to diagnose iyswim. Plenty of people with depression have seen no effect at all from ADs.
I'm surprised about the lithium though. I though it was usually used in severe cases of depression. If this is the case, then it might be more that the AD keep you even rather than making you better. If this is not the case, then maybe saying it's not working, I don't need them is a possible solution (Warning: as a general rule, i tend to think that the less medication you use, the better it is)

Lack of focus can be a lot of other things though. As so can be the lack of 'empathy'.
Have you had any blood test done recently?

annoyedofnorwich Sun 10-Apr-16 08:05:09

Well maybe I suppose. What do you do?

averywittyusername Sun 10-Apr-16 08:26:45

Chapsy I'm wondering about how the GP determines what course of action to take, I assume from your title you are wondering if it isn't depression (as meds don't solve it) but have you been able to talk to anyone, ie counsellor or psychotherapist, in a structured way? If you say there's no reason, there might not be an obvious reason, (I guess there doesn't have to be!) but talking it through might give some clarity. I'm feeling extreme apathy at the moment...laziness, and am kicking myself for not enjoying life more, haven't started antidepressants but am a month in for taking thyroid medication, I think depression may go hand in hand with other things. Has your GP investigated thyroid issues?

Gems16 Sun 10-Apr-16 09:22:14

Although there r no hormones in the copper coil the effect of the copper in your body can affect ur mood. Look up copper toxicity syndrome

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now