Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Citalopram brands

(8 Posts)
NakedMum33and3rd Wed 06-Apr-16 07:57:15

Hi everyone.
I have been on citalopram for nearly 6 weeks. I had just started to feel better when u went for my repeat prescription.
The chemist gave me a different brand. They were both called citalopram but the first was a white and orange box and the second is a white and pale blue box which says accord on it.
Since starting the different brand I have been having all the same symptoms of when I first started the drug. Yawning, increased anxiety, jaw clenching etc. Is it possible that the new brand is actually different? I'm feeling absolutely awful.

NakedMum33and3rd Wed 06-Apr-16 08:00:11

After googling my first brand I realise it was Teva.

cutefluffyunicorn Wed 06-Apr-16 08:18:57

well, technically speaking they SHOULD be exactly the same. If you ask a doctor or a pharmacist they will tell you there is no difference.
However, in the past, I have found myself feeling very different when I had a different brand of citalopram. So much so I used to always go to the same chemist and asked them to order in the same brand. I never did get to the bottom of it as I completely understand they are the same chemical etc...but I DEFINITELY noticed a difference....

FrameyMcFrame Wed 06-Apr-16 08:22:47

I know this happens with many drugs, have read about it on forums. But if you ask GPs or pharmacists they will deny it.

FrameyMcFrame Wed 06-Apr-16 08:25:15

I know this happens with many drugs, have read about it on forums. But if you ask GPs or pharmacists they will deny it.

NakedMum33and3rd Wed 06-Apr-16 08:29:36

Thank you for replying. I am going to try and speak to the GP today to see if I can get my original brand back. I hope my chemist will order it for me as my doctor is attach to that chemist and they send their prescriptions direct to that chemist. I have read the ingredients and they are all the same apart from the film coating.

cutefluffyunicorn Wed 06-Apr-16 08:47:43

the prescription from your GP will just state "citalopram" which means the chemist can dispense any brand. You need to talk directly to the pharmacist as he/she will be the one ordering in the drug who can make sure you get the correct brand. GP will have no influence over it. (unless they prescribe the specific brand "cipramil" which they never do because it is much,much more expensive)

NakedMum33and3rd Wed 06-Apr-16 08:57:14

Ok so do I even need to speak to the GP or can I go directly to pharmacist?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now