Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Does anyone use Sheffied or Derbyshire MH services?

(8 Posts)
dontrunwithscissors Sun 27-Mar-16 20:39:00

There's the possibility of a job for me in Sheffield. I'm currently in Scotland and have really good care under the MH services. I'm worried about leaving this behind. I've researched Sheffied MH services and read a lot of negative comments. Does anyone have feedback to add on the services there? We were looking at either Nether Edge or Oughtibridge as places to live.

My other option seems to be to live in Derbyshire (probably Chesterfied) and commute. The MH services seem to be better there, although I haven't found much information. If anyone has experience of Derbyshire services, I'd be really grateful to hear it, too.

QuickQuickNo Sun 27-Mar-16 23:21:29

I'm in Derbyshire (I think South?) and the mental health care has been very good, so far. Especially perinatal team, who are excellent.

Criminy Sun 27-Mar-16 23:27:29

I'm in Derbyshire, it depends what mental health issues you have. Perinatal are amazing (although based in Derby so not sure if they cover up to Chesterfield or not), I have BPD and Derbyshire do not fund treatment for it.

dontrunwithscissors Mon 28-Mar-16 13:24:28

Many thanks for those responses. Derbyshire services certainly seem better. It's a pain if I would have to commute as it seems hard work getting to Sheffied uni from Chesterfield. However, I've read quite a few very negative reports about Sheffield and I'm scared of moving somewhere like that. My CPN and pdoc have been so important while I've been here.

cantwaitforsummer Tue 29-Mar-16 19:39:09

Hi. I live in Chesterfield. The commute to Sheffield isn't that bad. Car wise would be worst but there is a regular quick bus service from Chesterfield to Sheffield and its only ten minutes by train.

With regards to MH servicesin Derbyshire you can now self refer. Have a look at the NHS Derbyshire website for providers. If you don't meet their referral criteria your GP can refer to a more appropriate service. Providers include let's talk well-being, mental health concern & oakdale LTD, talking mental health Derbyshire and Trent psychological therapy services. Have a look at their websites.

Hope this helps.

dylsmimi Tue 29-Mar-16 19:42:40

Hi I don't have any experience of mental health services but I do know they will be split between North Derbyshire (based through Chesterfield royal) and South whih would come through Derby.
Hope this helps if you are looking at reviews etc
Can your current mh team offer any advice or guidance?

Arion Tue 29-Mar-16 20:16:53

I'm Derby and have self referred through Trent psychological therapy services. The guy I've seen (only had introductory session + 2 sessions) seems good. Very calming and doesn't let me gloss over things. I've had counselling in the past that hasn't changed anything, but in my 1st session here, he told me no narrating, and it fell into place that that is what I've done previously.

dontrunwithscissors Tue 29-Mar-16 22:25:46

Thanks for those messages. Does anyone have experience of the crisis team in Chesterfield?

I'll continue to search online for info about N Derbyshire . It would be good if I can get moved over to the new CMHT without going all the way through registering with a new GP and waiting. Im usually under the crisis team 3 or 4 times a year and admitted 2 or 3 times a year so I would hate to be without support for too long. I'll keep in mind the self-referral. Thanks for all the information

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now