Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Coming off Sertraline

(12 Posts)
PandaPop55 Sun 27-Mar-16 20:16:42

I have been very gradually reducing my dose of sertraline over the past months, from 200 to 150 and then to 100. I was hoping to continue gradually reducing until I was completely off them. Unfortunately due to my own mistake I have run out. I will be able to get more in Tuesday, but by then I will not have taken any at all for a full week. Does anyone have any advise on the best course of action in this situation? I am not sure if having gone a full week I should just bite bullet and continue without, or if it would be safer to go back onto a low dose from Tuesday?

lottielou7 Mon 28-Mar-16 23:53:01

I would not recommend suddenly coming off them. My pharmacy will give you an emergency prescription if you need one - could you try that?

PandaPop55 Tue 29-Mar-16 16:15:08

Hi Lottielou,

I thought I had another packet until I actually went to take one on Tuesday last week when I realised I had none. I put the prescription in on Wed morning thinking it would just be a day or two without, which has been ok before. My DP was supposed to collect the tablets as I coudnt due to my work pattern, but he forgot. The pharmacy was then shut over Easter. I am able to collect more this afternoon, but am now a bit wary as I have not taken any since a week past Monday and am unsure whether starting to take them again after so long coud actually be worse than staying off them if you see what I mean?

lottielou7 Tue 29-Mar-16 16:36:38

I think the best thing is to phone your GP and see what they recommend. It's never a good idea to suddenly come off SSRIs.

PandaPop55 Tue 29-Mar-16 19:56:54

Ok. I am not all that trusting o my gp, but guess u r right. Will try and get hold of gp. Thanks x

peachypips Tue 29-Mar-16 19:58:44

Defo get some more. You should reduce by 10% every 2-3 weeks.

imeatingthechocolate Wed 30-Mar-16 17:09:35

have you not taken them for a week now? have you had any side effects?

PandaPop55 Wed 30-Mar-16 21:56:09

Hi imeatingthechocolate.

That is correct, after slowly reducing from a dose of 200 to 100 since the start of the year, I have not taken any sertraline at all since running out a week past monday, so this is day 9. ( I did plan to continue the slow tapering over several more months and am kicking mysef for being so stupid.)

I dont think I am experiencing any side effects yet. I am now scared that if I start taking them again after such a gap that I will feel terrible and I will not know if this is due to the withdrawal of, or the reintroducing of the ADs.

imeatingthechocolate Wed 30-Mar-16 22:17:58

i wouldn't bother restarting surely after a week its out of your system anyway

PandaPop55 Wed 30-Mar-16 22:34:23

Thanks imeating,

That was what I was beginning to think but everyone I have spoken to about it just keeps telling me what a bad idea coming off suddenly is and that I better start taking them again asap. I know it was a bad idea and am kicking myself for being stupid but its done now.

I had planned to come off completely (but gradually) in the next few months as I have lost any belief that they are actually helping me anyway. I find it hard to discuss this in RL as I can see the look on peoples faces when I say I don't think the drugs are helping. Maybe they are helping and I it will hit me soon, but with no faith in the ADs I need to try without them.

peachypips Thu 31-Mar-16 09:50:18

I'm sorry to say that they won't be out of your system for a while yet. At about 7 weeks after your last tablet you will start to notice the effects.

lottielou7 Thu 31-Mar-16 10:49:27

How are you Panda? If you don't trust your GP could you change to another one? It sounds as if you aren't happy with your current medication. I think you need guidance from someone who properly knows your medical history.

If you want to come off them then that's not unreasonable. But it all depends on why you were prescribed them in the first place I suppose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now