Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Worried about going forward without counselling

(2 Posts)
pumpkinpie5 Wed 23-Mar-16 23:22:47

I've been very lucky to have found a great counsellor who ive been seeing for the past two years. In this time I have come to terms with quite a lot - my previous abusive relationship, resulting self esteem issues and depression. It's come to the point where We have talked through these issues and although I can't say they don't ever affect me anymore, they don't consume me or leave me emotional on a daily basis. My depression is ongoing but stable at the moment and I am on medication for this.

It's come to the point where I have increased times between counselling sessions and I have one more in three weeks time which is likely to be my last. I am already panicky about this although I know rationally that I cannot rely on it forever and need to try and be self sufficient.

My counsellor knows things about me that I have never shared with anyone else, and I guess I just feel a loss at not have that background support there any more. I also don't know how I would cope if I had a relapse with my depression.

Has anyone been through this? How do you move forward without it? And is it normal to feel like this? How should I approach my last session so that I feel things have been rounded off well and I can try to move forward? I feel a bit of an idiot but feel lost already.

Marchate Wed 23-Mar-16 23:50:08

You must ask the counsellor if there is an easy-access way back should you need them again. Even an email or text, for reassurance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now