Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

New prescription of Venlablue: any experiences?

(10 Posts)
Bringiton2016 Thu 10-Mar-16 16:55:33

After being a zombie on citalopram for the past 2 months I've just been prescribed Venlablue. Has anyone had any experience of these? I see that they're supposed to "wake you up" as well as acting on the depression. I've googled and not sure entirely how they work. Does anyone have any knowledge please? Thanks.

Bringiton2016 Thu 10-Mar-16 19:13:19

Anyone? I believe the generic name is Effexor.

vxa2 Thu 10-Mar-16 19:42:41

They are venlafaxine. I took them for postnatal depression 13 years ago and they were brilliant. I was on 375 mg in the end and came off really gradually with no problem at all. I recently used for an episode of anxiety but they didnt help at all and I was really constipated which made me feel bad. In the end I stopped cold turkey from 150mg which was not a good idea as the withdrawal was awful. So I have had two very different experiences. All I can say is that if and when you get to the point of stopping them do it very gradually. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Criminy Thu 10-Mar-16 20:16:53

I've been on venlafaxine before. For me, it didn't help, but over the years I've tried lots of meds and so far nothing has helped, so it could just be me! A friend of mine found venlafaxine literally a lifesaver, it worked amazingly for her.

I found stopping it very, very difficult though. Horrific brain zaps and headaches. Ended up breaking into the capsules and counting out the little grains, reducing by one grain every few days. Maybe a technique to remember for the future!

Hopefully it will help though, it does help a lot of people, and that's the important thing, not the eventual stopping of it.

Lucsy Thu 10-Mar-16 20:20:29

I didn't like it at all. Worst side effects of any anti-D I tried one of which was feeling suicidal which I wasn't before. Lots of people love it though.

Bringiton2016 Thu 10-Mar-16 20:29:59

Eeek. This is my 4th type. Never been on an SSNRI before though. Obviously quite concerned about it. I can't even function on citalopram. I know all about doing slow withdrawals from bitter experience. Fingers crossed. I start in 2 weeks.

Pannacott Thu 10-Mar-16 21:23:50

Venlafaxine is one of the most effective antidepressants out there. I've seen it help people when nothing else has. The dose can be increased if first doses don't help. But yes you'd need to come off it carefully, withdrawal is very unpleasant. Good luck.

Bringiton2016 Thu 10-Mar-16 21:32:28

Thank you. I have to taper off the others first. Back on the roller coaster!

hefzi Fri 11-Mar-16 12:26:51

Venlafaxine literally saved my life: well worth trying an SNRI if you've not found anything that continues to work so far - I had already been through fluoxetine, citalopram, escitalopram, sertraline and paroxetine, all to maximum dosages, before I went on to it.

One thing to note, though - I did have really horrific side effects at 225 (nine months of only sleeping for 3-4 hours every third night, for example- ugh! No noticeable side effects at lower doses though), but these largely subsided at 300 and 375 (only mega dreams and horrendous night sweats, plus lots and lots of serious sleep!): if you feel you are getting side effects, please, please go to your doctor. I wish I had, as there were things I could have had (even though it would have meant tablets for side effects) and I am certain I wouldn't have got as bad as I did if I had been having basic things like regular sleep!

You feel like you're getting to the end of your options when nothing's working, but don't lose hope: even if velafaxine ends up not working for you, there are still plenty of things licenced as treatment options.

Good luck flowers

Bringiton2016 Fri 11-Mar-16 17:35:41

Thank you for the advice. I'm starting on 75. Just tapering off the others first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now