Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Struggling....help

(8 Posts)
lookingforafriend Wed 02-Mar-16 19:48:01

Have an appointment with my psychiatrist tomorrow......need to go......nervous, exhausted, nary, confused, lonely.....been in the house for over a week now and also dreading having to actually go out of the front door and drive! Anyone able to help with some coping strategies please?

AliceScarlett Wed 02-Mar-16 21:27:25

Could you do some relaxation exercises before you leave?

Might be an idea to not leave it so long not going out. Hard tho! It's easier to stay in.

lookingforafriend Wed 02-Mar-16 22:03:30

I feel as though I am in a vicious circle....lonely inside the house, also feeling extremely lonely outside of the house...I am screaming inside....you are absolutely right..it's so much easier staying in....I have no confidence and feel as though people are looking at me when I am outside and judging me...also have a fear of falling when I am outside...I only feel safe in my home....I will try my breathing exercises before I leave tomorrow...also going to these appointments alone doesn't help....nightmare...Thankyou

SnowCurl Wed 02-Mar-16 22:35:08

Hi looking for friend
Your first step is to leave the house. Try not to ovedthink it. I know it's hard sometimes. How long have you been having difficulties leaving your home? Who do you live with? Have you any friends or family nearby?
Xxx

Marchate Wed 02-Mar-16 22:37:35

I agree, you probably need to go out every day for even a few minutes. It will make things easier when you have to go to an appointment

That doesn't help for tomorrow though! Try not to overthink what's going to happen. It never goes as you imagine it will

Hope you manage. Take care

SnowCurl Fri 04-Mar-16 16:31:29

How did you get on at your appointment?

lookingforafriend Mon 07-Mar-16 11:06:09

Hi.....Thankyou so much for asking......a complete and utter waste of time....told me that he feels that my physical condition is the cause of how I feel mentally etc....told me that he feels that there is nothing more that he can do for me and won't need to see me again!!! I was totally gobsmacked and also extremely upset and angry at this point....I had literally been completely open and honest, explained what my worries and concerns were and how I have been feeling, what I had done, and also how I am feeling now.....he discharged me! Advised me that I am able to access my mental health nurse by being referred again through my GP.......it took so much strength, of which I didn't and don't have to simply get showered and dressed, also to drive there, sit amongst crowds of people and strangers which scares the life out of me at the moment...to be faced with that and be discharged....I was completely exhausted when I arrived back home....absolute disgrace....I am hoping that when I am able to have some answers about my physical condition and also manage my pain which is currently out of control, then I will not feel so scared, sad, depressed and lonely.....

SnowCurl Mon 07-Mar-16 12:14:58

Hmm. That doesn't sound like the best outcome you could have got/were hoping for.
I don't want to make you uncomfortable by probing but are you able to expand a little on your pain condition, (I.e) are you on any medication, do you receive any counselling/CBT or physio? Just trying to think of ways you might be helped and supported xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now