Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Schizoaffective disorder, son's delusions hanging on.

(1 Post)
biggles50 Mon 29-Feb-16 12:06:49

My son went into psychosis two years ago, he was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder and after a few weeks in a physchiatric unit came home. He's been making a long, slow recovery, although the meaning of recovery in our minds has changed. He has been working part time for friends and his personality is back to how he was pre illness. However his delusions, I won't go into them, are stuck. He's great about taking his meds but his beliefs are pretty whacky and he gets so down and miserable that he failed to complete his delusional project. He ruminates and is prone to being depressed. We know we can't talk him out of his delusions, we listen and agree it must be distressing for him. He's pushed away many of his friends and just sits around sighing, this isn't every day, sometimes he's great. He doesn't agree he has schizoaffective disorder, we don't argue otherwise as lack of insight is part of his illness. I'd be interested to hear from others who may have had delusions or who knows someone close to them who does. Just do they ever go away so he can move on and stop feeling such a failure. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now