Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

hypnotherapy

(7 Posts)
anxietyhell Thu 25-Feb-16 21:51:16

Has anyone ever had hypnotherapy to help ease panic attacks/ agoraphobia? I would like to know about your experiences good and bad.

AliceScarlett Sun 28-Feb-16 08:29:13

There is no evidence base, you're better off with CBT or another talking therapy.

fuddle Sun 28-Feb-16 10:06:17

Hypnotherapy is brilliant. Go with an open mind. I cannot recommend it highly enough. It takes a few sessions but it is excellent.

anxietyhell Sun 28-Feb-16 10:36:22

I'm currently being assessed again for cbt but have had it in the past and haven't found it useful so I suppose I'm clutching at straws in the hope that something could help me. X

AliceScarlett Sun 28-Feb-16 11:09:44

mindfulness? Headspace is a good app.

anxietyhell Sun 28-Feb-16 11:33:52

I'll download it, thank you. X

MagpieCursedTea Sun 28-Feb-16 12:00:59

I've just started using headspace after a friend of mine raved about how much it helped him. Worth giving it a go!
As for hypnotherapy, I've not tried it myself and whilst I know some people who have found it helpful I would urge you to be cautious about choosing your therapist. I know someone who "trained" as a hypnotherapist. Her training was all online and she had to do a couple multiple choice tests at the end to get her certificate. She then opened a practice and started treating the general public. Obviously there will be other therapists who will have had more thorough training but do be careful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now