Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Disinterested in everything.

(14 Posts)
RoryG Thu 25-Feb-16 09:51:19

I don't know if this is just how I am or a mental health problem.

I feel no interest in anything and life seems pointless. I don't enjoy my work and I am fed up spending day in day out being bossed about and spending the majority of my time with people I don't like. I have no hobbies and I get hardly any sleep as the baby keeps me up. I have barely any friends.

I feel like it's all pointless anyway. Filling the gap between birth and death. It's boring. I am not interested.

Marchate Thu 25-Feb-16 11:17:30

How old is your baby? Do you have a partner? Does your family live nearby?

I am not a doctor, but it sounds like you're depressed. Maybe you could talk to your health visitor

I hope you feel better soon

RoryG Thu 25-Feb-16 13:13:29

He's 9 months. I have a lovely husband and close by family. I don't know if I'm depressed or not. Just totally indifferent to everything

HeffalumpHistory Thu 25-Feb-16 13:28:53

I think you should def speak to your hv/gp. It sounds very much like pnd (although I'm not a professional)
Pnd can occur at anytime in the first year or slightly beyond, I thought if you didn't get it straight away then you wouldn't until I suddenly felt very similar to how you describe when dd was 6months old.
Don't suffer alone, I promise people are there to help flowers

RoryG Fri 26-Feb-16 11:12:20

I feel like I'm wasting the gp's time if I go there and my hv is a colossal arse hole who I can't really talk to. I've heard of online self help resources for pnd so I'm going to look for those. Thanks for your help.

BubsandMoo Fri 26-Feb-16 11:44:19

Why would you feel like you're wasting the GPs time? You wouldn't be at all, that's what they're there for, it would be an entirely appropriate use of a GPs time. But if you don't feel comfortable maybe reading a bit about PND is a good thing to do.

HeffalumpHistory Fri 26-Feb-16 11:49:13

Please please go & see your gp, I promise you, you are not wasting their time. Reading up might be a good idea but self diagnosis/treatment might not have such a positive affect iyswim.
Let us know how you get on OP

Marchate Fri 26-Feb-16 14:33:53

It's the GP's job to look after people who are unwell. You really should speak to her

RoryG Fri 26-Feb-16 18:28:11

Really? I feel like I'd just be moaning and I just need to get on with it. Feeling a bit brighter today, been to the park with ds and it was lovely. I told dh the stuff in my op and he was worried and thought I was suicidal. I'm not! Maybe I will see a gp. Thanks.

notagiraffe Fri 26-Feb-16 18:50:44

It's so hard to know if you are depressed when DC are tiny. The sleep deprivation, the Groundhog Day existence, the limits on your free time, energy and resources all make it hard to enjoy life in lots of ways.

What you describe is similar to anhedonia - an inability to feel happy when life is good, inability to take pleasure in the small things. But then you had a good day at the park...

is it simply that you don't currently have much to look forward to? Could you plan a few nights out with your DH doing things you've always wanted to do - a gig to a favourite band or comedian, a show you've always wanted to see, maybe a night away? Can you think about retraining in a new job? If none of this even slightly appeals, if you truly feel utterly indifferent to absolutely everything then it does sound like mild depression and it is worth discussing with someone.

Wolfiefan Fri 26-Feb-16 18:55:29

This does sound like it could be depression. Feeling tired is normal but feeling it is all pointless and there's no joy in life at all is not.
flowers

RoryG Sat 27-Feb-16 22:01:38

I don't want to go out. I have no desire to do anything but stay home and not even because I'm tired. I decline invites to go anywhere lately as it's just too much effort. I can't be bothered.

AnxiousMunchkin Sun 28-Feb-16 09:25:49

Hi RoryG. Just wanted to say not wanting to interact with others is personally one of my warning signs for mild depression, I have had several major episodes (the unable to function kind).

Something I do to help keep a track of my moods is a little app called What's My M3, you answer questions on it and then get a score and if it's above a certain level it suggests that depression could be a concern. I do it every few weeks to keep a track on things. It's very similar to the questionnaires my psychological wellbeing practitioner asked me to do at the start of each CBT session to track progress.

RoryG Sun 28-Feb-16 15:07:06

Oh that sounds like a good app, I'll get it thanks.

Something else weird has happened a couple of times too. When MN was hacked and those people were swatted, I panicked and locked myself and baby in the house, locked doors and closed curtains until dh got home from work as I was terrified that the hackers were coming for me? I cried all day. That was such a weird episode. And then I've had a few less extreme panic attacks since.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now