Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

My kids are the only thing keeping me alive

(10 Posts)
QuickQuickNo Sat 20-Feb-16 20:26:55

Diagnosed bipolar. Very ill postpartum with both kids.

Recently changed medication, now on lithium and fluoxetine and finding the fluoxetine troubling. I go through phases of manic energy for 7-10 days, lots of cleaning and tidying, then just this week I have been totally exhausted.

Constant thoughts of suicide, but my DH has a very short temper with our eldest (4) and I'm always playing good cop/counsellor/the living parent. Right now I wouldn't want him to be raised entirely by DH.

Giving the youngest a bottle tonight, and just staring out the window fantasising of suicide.

My CPN is coming round Tuesday but I can't tell her, I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder when I was younger, and the treatment I had then, plus what I have heard about other people dxd bpd- I think it would be counter productive in case I ended up with less support.

I don't think I'm depressed, or manic, but I am diagnosed mixed, so maybe that's happening. I need to be here for my kids, but as a person I need to not exist. What if my kids hate me when they're older, for all my madness? The longer I leave it the harder it will be for them.

QuickQuickNo Sat 20-Feb-16 20:28:49

Cpn knows of the medication change and I'm stressed. Saw the pdoc who said I wasn't depressed or hypo manic, just agitated.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sat 20-Feb-16 20:36:21

They won't, they will admire you. Your strength at not leaving them. Your courage in fighting for them.

I am in a dark place too, and I have similar thoughts. If I could go away and hurt no one then I would but I know the damage that a parent's suicide does to a child and the subsequent generations because my grandfather did it to his children so I won't but I want to.

Marchate Sat 20-Feb-16 20:40:13

Yours is a sad story. I'm sorry you are feeling so bad at the moment

For the sake of your children you really should try to get help. I can't say 'tell the cpn' because if you don't want to it's your choice. But I promise you, the children won't hate you for being alive. If you're no longer with them, they'll never get over it. They'll probably end up with MH problems themselves if you take your life. So please, give yourself a few days before even considering it again

Does your partner have a short temper with you? With other people? Only the 4 year old?

Ikeatears Sat 20-Feb-16 20:52:51

I hear you and I understand everything you are saying. I feel exactly the same.
Just a thought, I was giving fluoxetine in September and within two weeks went from reasonably mild depression and anxiety to serious thoughts of suicide and self harm. They changed the meds and I got a lot better for a while.

Ikeatears Sat 20-Feb-16 20:53:31

*given, not giving - I haven't been giving ads out to anyone!blush

BunnyTyler Sat 20-Feb-16 20:54:19

I can't help at all, but I didn't want to read your post and not reply.

I have been quite recently diagnosed (within last 2 years) with cyclothymia (which is like 'bi-polar lite' I suppose).

I had a breakdown in December '14, and have been rapid cycling hypo-manic & mild depression for about the last 7 months due to a lot of external stresses and have recently been having intrusive thoughts like you quite often.
The only thing that keeps me ploughing on are my children, they give me the perspective and focus that I need to stay fighting.

Please, please be honest with your CPN & Doctor about how you've been feeling - it could simply be the meds themselves that are making you feel like this. I've known of a few people who didn't get on well with fluoxetine and have felt suicidal whilst on it.

thanks stay strong, you are worth it xxxxx

QuickQuickNo Sat 20-Feb-16 20:55:35

No DH just struggles to understand that the 4yo is still just a baby, not a big kid. He has a very stressful job and we are both totally sleep deprived by DS2.

QuickQuickNo Sat 20-Feb-16 20:57:43

Last night at 2am DS1 came in to our room crying, DH started to have a go at him about going back to bed, it's night time and mummy and Daddy are tired etc. I was soft and brought DS1 in with me, DH ended up on the sofa as DS1 was up sneezing and spotting with a cold until 4.20am.

QuickQuickNo Sat 20-Feb-16 20:59:31

Thanks for the quick replies btw, wasn't expecting any for a while

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now