Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Starting a new job and anxiety

(3 Posts)
BeBe32 Sat 20-Feb-16 19:50:28

Hi

I've never posted on this board before. I've put something similar on the employment board but thought this might be more appropriate in some ways.

I was once bullied badly by a previous boss and ended up very ill and suffering with depression and anxiety. I then got back into work in a different field and less pressurised job and loved it straight away and felt part of the team. I'd been in that job a few years and felt that even though I loved it I was struggling financially and also wanted to progress and unfortunately there was no opportunity to do that in that department. I applied for a job in the same organisation but in a different department. I didn't really think I would get but I did.

This week I started the new job this week and I'm feeling really mixed about things. I can't say it was a really bad week but I just feel so overwhelmed. The job is quite a step up and a move into management compared to my previous job. I feel so daunted and I'm panicking that I'm never going to understand it all and know what I'm doing. Most of this week has been meeting people but not much actual focus on what I'm going to be doing day to day. I know it's going to be quite a high pressure role and I'm really worried that I'm not going to be good at it, that I'm not clever enough and that basically I'm out of my depth. I'm also really missing my previous team and feel quite lonely. I hate that feeling of being new and knowing nothing. I feel as if the whole new job situation has just triggered my anxiety again. I'm panicking that even though there were good reasons for looking for another job maybe it was the wrong thing to do and I'm terrified of things getting as bad as they were before. I would love to hear about people's experiences of starting a new job - particularly anyone who was really unsure at first and now loves their job which would give me a bit of hope that this will pass. Also anyone who suffers with anxiety and/or depression it would be lovely to hear from you and not feel quite so alone.

xx

TooManyButtons Sat 20-Feb-16 19:57:08

I'm in exactly the same situation. I started a new job as a nurse in a&e after working in a very sedate private sector nursing environment since I qualified. It's really triggered my anxiety and it's close friend depression has popped in to join the party too. I'm at the point where I spend the whole day before I'm due to work getting more and more stressed, and not sleeping at all the night before a shift.

Everyone keeps telling me to give it 6 months to feel settled, but I'm not sure I can live like this for that long sad

BeBe32 Sun 21-Feb-16 11:55:56

Thank you for replying. It's good to know I'm not alone but I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this. It's so difficult isn't it? I've spent the whole weekend worrying about next week, it's exhausting. I keep thinking that if things don't get better it will be all my fault. I left a lovey job and lovely people and it could all be a big mistake. I'm so worried that I just won't cope with this job, that I'm out of my depth.

I really hope it all works out for us both.

xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now