Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Getting signed off work with depression and anxiety

(4 Posts)
TiredAndScared Fri 19-Feb-16 19:21:36

I feel so ashamed and pathetic to be asking this but I am really not coping.

I am not coping at work at all. My depression and anxiety are both really bad at the moment and that along with the fact that there's a lot going on at work at the moment means I just feel really pushed to breaking point right now.

I have never been signed off work before and I'm ashamed to be asking but do I just go to the GP and ask to be signed off? What do I say? I'm not on meds right now and I don't want to be, I just really feel like a few weeks off will really help me sort myself out.

SirChenjin Fri 19-Feb-16 19:28:32

Yes, you just go and ask to be signed off - but I would gently suggest that you go to the GP with an open mind and talk through the various long and short term treatment options. Mental ill health is nothing to be ashamed of - and I hope you feel better soon flowers

cymrukernow Fri 19-Feb-16 21:44:37

Definitely get signed off and take time to rest. Seek help as you will cope better in the long term if you have strategies to cope. Meds are not for everyone but talk about your options, if your GP is not sympathetic see one that is - that's what I did .

Marchate Fri 19-Feb-16 22:50:28

Definitely don't be completely closed to medication. It may help short term

When you get time off, try to relax. It's easy to forget & do things that don't matter

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now