Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Diagnosed with anxiety. Should I have time off work and how to tell work

(4 Posts)
Rollergirlskates Tue 16-Feb-16 13:56:58

After suffering from anxiety / insomnia for a while I reached breaking point over the weekend and yesterday went to see my GP who has diagnosed severe anxiety and slight depression. I've got anxiety medicine, sleeping pills and been referred for counselling.

The main problem for me is the insomnia although I realise they are all linked so I need to tackle the anxiety which is the cause of the insomnia.

GP said she would advise I take some time off work but didn't "officially" sign me off. She didn't give me a sick note but said they could do if I need one. So far I've just called in sick to work (yesterday and today) but haven't given a reason, I just said I'm unwell.

If you've been diagnosed with anxiety did you take time off work? How long?

Not sure whether taking time off will make me worse as I'll just be worrying about work piling up while I'm away. I have no family or friends where I live and not sure if sitting around the house alone will make me worse rather than better (although I acknowledge I do need some rest). The insomnia means I'm too tired to exercise or do much.

If I do decide to take time off work how do I tell work? Do I explain what's wrong or just be vague and say I'm ill?

Thanks

PotteringAlong Tue 16-Feb-16 13:58:54

If you're not sure if you need the time off then you don't need it off. If you're too unwell to work you know it.

Lottapianos Tue 16-Feb-16 14:05:29

Pottering, it just doesn't always work that clearly. Its very difficult because part of the anxiety can be difficulty making decisions. There's really no right answer OP - some people prefer to keep to their normal routine, and find that it helps them feel more stable. Other people feel like they need a break for a few days or weeks.

I have had a couple of days off here and there for my own anxiety and depression. Like you, I can remember agonising about whether it was a good idea, whether I really needed it, whether it was better to keep going etc etc. Its exhausting thinking about it! I was always glad in the end that I did take some time off. I spoke to my line manager who was very supportive and she knew the reason I was off. I had a different manager in the past who was very unsupportive so again, depends on your situation.

Well done for seeing your GP and for taking steps towards feeling better. If you do feel like some time off would be a good idea, go for it. Sick leave is for when you are not fit to be at work, whether for physical or emotional reasons, so use it if you feel it would be of benefit to you. Good luck x

ChineseDragonLady Tue 16-Feb-16 14:33:24

Each to their own; mostly I find it helps to be at work but I did have a couple of days off when I felt like I couldn't even get out of bed. Well done for seeing your GP, I hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now