Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Think my anxiety has got to an unmanageable point - I think I need to see a doctor - what happens now?

(7 Posts)
Anxietyisnotnice Mon 15-Feb-16 18:24:06

I've always been a slightly anxious person. In life, I seem to have had anxious times (like bad times at work, bereavements) but this has been evened out by times of calm and happiness.

This bout of anxiety is not shifting. It started last year before my eldest child started school. It seems to have really triggered something in me. My main anxieties are health related, where I convince myself I am ill with a certain disease, panic, and even sometimes I get the symptoms. It all centres around me not wanting to leave my children motherless, and I can't seem to be rational about it.

It has come to the head in the past few weeks. I have been ill, firstly with a virus, but then I started getting troubling stomach problems. The panic then started and I seem on a downward spiral. It consumes my thoughts. I can't even enjoy my time because I am too busy thinking about what could be wrong with me (and in fact, I'm not entirely sure it isn't all in my head anyway.)

I feel in fight of flight mode. When the children cry or make sudden noises I feel so on edge. I've started cancelling social engagements. I can't even seem to enjoy reading books or newspapers at the moment.

I have an appointment with my GP on Wednesday, and I think I need to tell her about this.

At this point, should I be considering medication? I am quite concerned about taking medication long-term, I don't take pills for anything usually. I am worried about the side effects. Will it numb me and make me not enjoy life (though saying that, I'm not exactly getting much out of it at the moment anyway.) I am concerned about my libido, as my sex life is not too great as it is, and I worry this could be the death knell.

I know it greatly depends on the individual, but are there any medications that should be avoided, or any that seem to work well?

I am doing the "right" things at the moment - no caffeine, no alcohol (this really does make me worse), I exercise regularly, and eat a fairly good diet. I have a husband who helps me a lot. So if I feel this dreadful with all the good things in place, I suppose outside help has to be the way forward.

Also, has anyone managed to combat this? Or am I likely to feel like this forever (or be on tablets forever to combat it?)

Thanks for reading

Oneday Mon 15-Feb-16 18:31:32

Didn't want to read this and disappear - there ARE medications that could help. Side effects are very individual, but I'm speaking as someone on several medications that can cause side effects (including loss of libido) and I suffer none.

The main thing I think is that you feel supported somehow - feeling like this is rubbish, isolating and frightening. Talking to someone about it is absolutely the right thing to do. I understand absolutely about fight or flight mode - and this is a horrid way to be feeling. There are no guarantees (obviously) that medication, or the first medication, will help. But communication will. Keep posting. X

Anxietyisnotnice Mon 15-Feb-16 19:06:18

Thanks for your response Oneday!

I also think I need to seek help as I feel in physical pain, and I'm now sure the anxiety is making it worse, if not causing it.

Lullabullacoo Mon 15-Feb-16 19:14:44

Hi Anxiety, I have suffered with anxiety on/off for years. I have found mine is worse when I am stressed about something else & focus on other trivial stuff to distract my brain. I was on anti-depressants which did affect my libido slightly however I changed to a different type. The GP may refer for you for CBT to help you control the anxiety but they will discuss your medication options with you before prescribing anything.

Anxietyisnotnice Mon 15-Feb-16 19:21:30

The problem I see with the medication at the moment as well is the waiting time for it to work - I feel dreadful now.

Girlfriend36 Mon 15-Feb-16 19:30:30

Hello, I was similar to you about a year ago and took 2 doses of fluoxetine.

Unfortunately for me I had quite a dramatic reaction and it actually made everything worse. I would advice speaking to the Dr, if they suggest medication start on the lowest dose possible.

What helped me in the end was doing Mindfulness and reading a book called Panicking and Panic by Josh Fletcher. I also find affirmations helpful and the Louise Hays books are useful.

I still have irrational thoughts and unhelpful thoughts but generally feel more confident in managing them I also saw a therapist for several months.

Anxietyisnotnice Tue 16-Feb-16 17:32:49

Thanks for your reply Girlfriend.

I will look up the books you have recommended.

Going to see the doctor tomorrow and going to write out a list so I don't forget what I want to say. I am hoping I am offered CBT.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now